HTML emails

Guest K. T. Walrus

It would be nice if you spent some effort in making the email sent by IPB look as good as the forum. That is, there should be an option to generate emails in HTML (as well as sending the plain text version).

I'd think you could use the skinning system to provide HTML templates for each email type and treat the generation of an email just like the generation of a page (that is, they should look good).

The short lined plain text emails are adequate, but these days, most people view emails in a client that can display HTML...

Also, if this was implemented, member-to-member EMails should use the template. That way the dislaimer could be slightly seperate to the main message.
Also, while on the topic of EMails, either in bulk mail you should be able to manually select users to send to, or admins should be able to use the tags like {member_name} (and not get that disclaimer) in normal EMails.
And, when an admin uses the member-to-member feature, the 'Allow admin emails' should override the 'Allow member emails' settings

• 2 months later...

... in bulk mail you should be able to manually select users to send to, ...

It would be nice to be able to specify a custom SQL qyery that returns a list of member IDs, and have that used as the basis for the bulk-mail.

Also, within the existing interface, it would be good to scren out people who have a certain warn_level.

This should be optional.

Many of my members would draw and quarter me for sending html mail.

I personaly send all html mail to the spam folder unread.

Mail servers I admin strip markup as well. It's an inappropriate use of the medium and waste of bandwidth. People should really know better.

This should be optional.

Obviously, it should be optional (both at an admin level and at an individual preference level).

But, sending an HTML version of an email (with a plain text version included for those clients that don't handle HTML) is almost a standard on the net nowadays. Even email I get from friends is sent in HTML as their email clients just do this automatically (if they use any formating in the email).

I think sending ugly plain text emails from your board is a Web 1.0 type of thing. IPB should "templatize" the email system. If you skin it so all your templates only create plain text emails, that would be your choice.

Archived