sort emoticons

Guest Avonlea22

One problem (i'd think that'd happen) with that Herc is the board (or database?) would happen to have to recall ALL member similies. I'd think the bigger the board the slower it'd probably go with more members each having their own set of smilies. The emotion's manager could probably do with some more flexibility.

One problem (i'd think that'd happen) with that Herc is the board (or database?) would happen to have to recall ALL member similies. I'd think the bigger the board the slower it'd probably go with more members each having their own set of smilies. The emotion's manager could probably do with some

more

flexibility.

Just have a cache for each emoticon ID and it's usage count everytime someone creates a topic, update the cache.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a clever idea, mate, but it also has some drawbacks. Members expect certain smilies to be visible, and each person's pet smiley may differ. While it may be cool to see the list reorganize itself, it would probably also have a disorienting effect. Of course, on the flip side of that argument you could say that new smilies on the one-click list may encourage members to experiment with the "show all" instead of ignore the entire repository of emoticons. :ermm:

I don't see the problem, I mean just add one step further on this idea, we have sticky posts right? Why not sticky emoticons? The rest fall under the popular tagging code, where the more they get used the higher up they go. Add a bit of logic of "is this a sticky already" if yes then leave current position, if no then move up position. :rolleyes: The point being is that the popular codes never move up in to or beyond the sticky emoticons.

Damn I am a brilliant pseudo coder :lol: I only wish I could code, then again I would not enjoy keeping up with the upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...

Smileys area really needs work. Please let users upload their own smileys (group permission), assign keywords to smileys and then search for smileys.
This is a major fonctionnality which is very popular on largest french discussion boards...

I too think there should be some sort of way of organising the emoticons, I originally thought of the number order but if something jazzy like drag and drop can be implemented that'd be fantastic.
Don't like the ideas of categories though <_<

Yes, the emoticons desperately need some way of organising them. Personally, I'd prefer to be able to group them into different categories (such as "actions", "emotions", "sports" and "countries"), but, quite frankly, ANY way to organise them would be better than what we have now... it's a complete mess. I'm astounded that this seems to be overlooked every time IPB release a new version.

Archived