A New Installer

Guest SnakEyez

Personally I have been very happy with Invision Board as a product, but the ugprading procedures are about as bad as they come. The instructions users see is:

"Upload all the files contained in the "upload" folder of the download distribution EXCEPT conf_global.php"

I hate to sound like this but this is something I really expect from a free product and not a paid one. I mean is it really necessary to update every single file, images included, every single time there is an update from one version to the next (ie: 2.1.3->2.1.4). I just think there could be something done to make the process run a little smoother and easier.

I hope you're joking. Do a count on the number of image files there are. ;)

We should be able to download *just* the updated files. I'm surprised the option is not there.

Lol, likewise on his joke, as well, and am surprised we can't download just the updated files. >_<

It's just easier to keep track of what's what.

A lot of people keep archives on their computer of older versions, then you'd have to keep track of the different full versions and upgrade packs, and it's just a big hassle.

Why is it such a big deal to upload all the files, and upgrade? It only takes an extra minute or so...

Why is it such a big deal to upload all the files, and upgrade? It only takes an extra minute or so...

For me it's because I like to gets jobs done as quickly as possible. If I can upgrade my IPB faster then I should be able to.
It doesn't take an extra minute. More like an extra 5 for me.

For me it's because I like to gets jobs done as quickly as possible. If I can upgrade my IPB faster then I should be able to.

It doesn't take an extra minute. More like an extra 5 for me.

They use to have a "patch" download, I am not sure what happen to it, but at this time it doesn't matter because they are using a cache version to help with the server load.

A lot of people keep archives on their computer of older versions, then you'd have to keep track of the different full versions and upgrade packs, and it's just a big hassle.

I don't know what your situation is, maybe you have a 10MB connection or something, but to upload every IPB file except conf_global.php, on a 2MB connection, takes a hell of a long time. Certainly not an "extra minute or so".

Becuase I have the annoying issue of my FTP client timing out.

I agree though, its easier to organise from IPS' and the customers point of view.

I think the best solution is to tell us if there are any new images. We should overwrite all the source images every time anyway.

I don't know what your situation is, maybe you have a 10MB connection or something, but to upload every IPB file except conf_global.php, on a 2MB connection, takes a hell of a long time. Certainly not an "extra minute or so".

Its a case of how fast your webserver can do the FTP stuff. I think after a certian point connection speed won't make any odds.

Personally I have been very happy with Invision Board as a product, but the ugprading procedures are about as bad as they come. The instructions users see is:

"Upload all the files contained in the "upload" folder of the download distribution EXCEPT conf_global.php"

I hate to sound like this but this is something I really expect from a free product and not a paid one. I mean is it really necessary to update every single file, images included, every single time there is an update from one version to the next (ie: 2.1.3->2.1.4). I just think there could be something done to make the process run a little smoother and easier.

I agree that this can seem a little overkill. The idea behind it is to avoid confusion. For someone who isn't an expert on things like installations, uploading, FTP etc, "upload everything" is easier than "upload everything BUT not this, and not this unless you have changed skins, and not this unless you want to return to default images" etc.

Before someone points it out, yes we have the conf_global.php exception, although this is now conf_global.php.DIST to do away with this complication ;)

I agree that an upgraded files only pack may be useful, but it presents it's own complications. Every file is version stamped, so if say attach.php doesn't change from 2.0.1 to 2.0.12, and a tech is debugging an attachment issue, it's hard to know immediately if your files are up to date. As it is, we can look at the version tag on a file, and they should all be the same. If they aren't, we know some files need updating :)

I realise it's not the easiest way, but we do now supply a list of changed/new files, so it's safe to assume if nothing is marked changed in images folders, you can skip them.

I will also suggest we add some better instructions to the upgrade notes :)

So you are saying that we should not follow that changed files list, and just upload everything except the images and emoticons? I followed the changed files list for 2.1.3 to 2.1.4 and everything seems fine, and on the bottom it still says:

Invision Power Board v2.1.4

I realise it's not the easiest way, but we do now supply a list of changed/new files, so it's safe to assume if nothing is marked changed in images folders, you can skip them

He answered your question: It's fine to use the changed files.

Archived