Customised Forms

Guest Reado

Why not add a feature that allows the Board Admin to allow a specific forum to only use custom forms to his/her specification. This would be a great feature if you wanted for example to collect feedback from people about the board, or even specific information on a product that the forum relates to.

Example: When you open the "Bug Feedback" forum and click "New Post", instead of being presented with the usual new post screen, you get text fields, drop downs and maybe tick boxes or radio buttons to complete. So you could have the field "Where did you find this bug?" and "What version of IPB are you using?" and "Please indicate what modules you have installed (Gallery / Blog)".

This feature could then maybe be linked to the search feature on the board, where you can search in a specific forum for posts which contain specific IPB version numbers or posts which state they have specific modules installed. This is only an example, but the real reason behind the idea would have suited me if it were already a feature. I've had IPS create me a custom mod, which is basically an integrated forum register/login on my website, followed by a set of text fields, which once submitted are posted directly into a forum on my board. Instantly I have the 5 pieces of information to hand, whereas from experience if I have created a normal forum and a pinned post stating "Create a post and include THIS information", I haven't had the same response I would have wanted, i.e. one user has left out one bit of information.

Maybe though, this feature would be best suited for 3.0?

Please look here for the custom mod IPS have kindly created me. :)

This would be great. If there was a feature that allowed you to set via the Admin CP which fields were also added into the topic title once the post was made, we'd be all set. Sort of like how the dropdown box options for custom profile fields have B=Bug Report, so if you chose the Bug Report option would be at the start of the topic title. But I personally would prefer if it was part of the title, but not actually editable in the title via the moderation option, in other words it would only change if you chose a different option or didn't choose one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have a look at our website version: apply.gif

This uses a front-end of normal tags, but the back-end uses a mod developed by IPS to post into a specific forum with all info entered by the end user. Making it possible to have the customised forms instead would mean anyone could do this and the development of the forms would be endless, as in you could customise it by adding and deleting boxes, without the need of asking a developer to do it for you. Although Adam has done a superb job in this case, it would be more cost effective to have a built-in solution that anyone could use, IMO. :thumbsup:

Archived