New "New Topic" Button Request

Guest • Jay •

After taking on board some information posted by other customers, I have modified my request so that it no longer fits in the same topic. You can find the original topic here

If a member or guest does not have correct permissions to start a new topic or reply in a topic (where the topic is still technically open to those with permissions), I think it'd be good if the new topic or reply buttons were grayed out, but still provided the current error page.

That way, people familiar with the forum software would know that the grayed out button means they aren't allowed to post, and those who are not still receive the error message so they aren't left wondering why they can't post. Then they'll also know in the future, and can save the time clicking on the button. :)

How about a slight tweak.. If they are signed in but don't have permission, then a virtual pop-up appears telling them that they can't (post/reply/edit/whatever), like the "My Assistant" box. :)

This would give the benefit of not going to another page (unless they are a guest, then the option to register/sign in). I believe that was part of the original intention anyways...?

yeah, I miss the CLOSED button, and it was easy for mods to reply to closed topics with it (Mods could click it) now we have to click REPLY on a closed thread then delete the replied text.

It's still used. See my other topic. :)

Putting bluntly what he said, when you click the closed button, it's just like clicking the "AddReply" button. It's still there, sort of like an "easteregg". If Jay's idea were to get implemented though, it would make sense that the "AddReply" button also be available, but be dimmed out if they don't have the permission to post a reply.

I don't really care about the semantics. I just want members to be able to see a button and know that they can't reply or start a new topic without wasting the time of clicking it.

Reason I mentioned that thought was that I believe part of the original idea was that it wouldn't waste the time to load an entirely new page just to have an error. I think it's a really good idea, especially if those who are already signed in were to get a pop up notifying them that they don't have permission to post/reply. (Virtual pop-up that is). Also be another step towards making the forums seem more like an application, when unavailable options are dimmed out so they're still there, just unavailable.

** Adding to above: For those *NOT* signed in, take them to an error page prompting them to register and/or sign in. ;)

What if instead of that we simply use some AJAX to print red, bolded text right under the button clicked saying they don't have the proper permissions to use that feature (grey buttons could accompany as well).

I would prefer this over a JS popup displaying the warning and it would save page loads on errors.

Keith

Suggestion. If they can't post/create new topics they see a faded "FASTREPLY" (if on in profile) "ADDREPLY" or A "NEWTOPIC". So sort of the same as the board makers; except if they don't have permission to post/edit/create new topics (etc) they see a faded button.

I agree with Jay. This would solve the problem with the new topic button. Its user-friendly. A popup (just a simple javascript alert box is fine) could inform the user that they can't post, but I don't think thats needed - though you could add this in via the skin if you wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived