Suggestion: IPB Firefox Extension

Guest //Nathan

We need a Firefox extension! Seriously!

There are a couple extensions for forums, BBCode and BBCodeXtra, but they're horribly outdated. Neither have Strikeout, PHP, SQL, Codebox, or any of the other innovations Invision has pushed in the last couple years. IMO (but apparently not others) extensions for such a forward-thinking browser should be based on the leading standards, not outdated standards.

I know extremely little about programming, and I couldn't make heads or tails of BBCode's source. (Download the XPI, rename it to *.zip, unpack the .jar file, rename it to .zip and unpack that to reveal an extension's source.) It didn't look like it could be easily adapted.

What we need is a full-featured Firefox extension which will:

1. Have the functionality of BBCode and BBCodeXtra -- be able to highlight text and make it B/U/I/S/a URL/an email address/code/etc.

2. Symbols! This is in BBCode, but the feature is broken (or supports an outdated BB). US Keyboards don't have the

There is actually a mod that lets you save posts. Not as I described... I'm talking about full-on IPB integration... But there is or was one called Scribe where you could save posts from the File menu. No load, though, IIRC.

Widget... You mean like a Konfabulator extension? Yes! That would actually make it worth reinstalling. Maybe you could also have it get your PMs, much how the PM Notification in 2.0.x works, and you could set Favorite Forums, and new topics/replies could create a link in the wdget informing you... or favorite topics... If that makes any sense.

How are extensions coded? In what language, I mean? I'm guessing Javascript, because XPIs are really ZIP'ped JARs (Java ARchive?), which in turn are ZIP files with tons of files in there. But IIRC JavaScript is a friendly Java, and Java is a friendly C++. The code I was looking at for BBCode looked like C++ (or Java/JS) but I can't really tell the difference between those... My knowledge of programming is just above nil... I know the names of a few languages and can make a few extremely basic thingsi n QBASIC. :rolleyes: But what language are we talking about? and do we have people here who know it?

I don't know what programmers charge for their work, but I for one would be open to donating a little bit if someone were to code something like this, and it worked well. I mean, if Matt busted out an extension that worked with IPB as closely as its own components work with one another, I would think that would be worth paying for moreso than Blog, and I paid for Blog. :)

Something that could adapt to multiple IPB installations within the settings pane would work great as well.

What, you mean like two different boards? This board and my board for example?

That's exactly what I mean about the Smilies. Case in point, to make the Angry emoticon, here it's >_< and on my board it's :angry:. Here, :angry: makes angry.gif.

My suggestion is this: since IPB has the View Smilies page (Show All under the Clickable Smilies), there's some part of IPB that draws up a table, right? Have the extension draw from that. You configure it for forums.invisionpower.com (here) and it finds the smilies table, as it would be called the same exact thing [java script:emo_pop()] on every IPB installation. It would then load them into the context menu, X per page, so like on my forum you'd have 6 pages of emoticons. <_< But in Fast Reply, it would be efficient.

Like...

IPBInterface
-Bold
-Italic
-Underline
-Strikeout
-Text Color
-Background Color
-Clipboard
--Make Selection URL
--M.S. Email addy
--MS Image
-Emoticons
--Dark Reality MB
---blah blah blah
--Invision Power Services
---Page 1
---- :)
---- ;)
---- :o
---Page 2
---Page 3

...you get the idea. wink.gif

Emoticons were disabled, the ones you see were images directly referencing the files...

• 1 month later...

Thought this deserved a bump... 'specially since I see staff talking about using Firefox over in Community Technical Chat. Come on guys... you know Firefox rocks, you know there are some pretty half-assed extentions that do half the job... The idea of an IPB extension is cool enough, but having the code automatically customized, generated and updated by the board itself combining a template with the customizations each admin makes on their board... hey, that would be pretty cool. Sort of bridging the "gap" between the Firefox software on the client PC and the IPB software on the server. That's the key to making IPB a better product, because just how far can you go with PHP, SQL, CSS, and HTML/DHTML/XML/RSS, etc.?

• 1 year later...

Thought this deserved a bump... 'specially since I see staff talking about using Firefox over in Community Technical Chat. Come on guys... you know Firefox rocks, you know there are some pretty half-assed extentions that do half the job... The idea of an IPB extension is cool enough, but having the code automatically customized, generated and updated by the board itself combining a template with the customizations each admin makes on their board... hey, that would be pretty cool. Sort of bridging the "gap" between the Firefox software on the client PC and the IPB software on the server. That's the key to making IPB a better product, because just how far can you go with PHP, SQL, CSS, and HTML/DHTML/XML/RSS, etc.?

sure does deserve a bump. Who doesn't like firefox? :P

sure does deserve a bump. Who doesn't like firefox? :P

Me for one :P It's a good browser, but the memory issues are still a hang up for me. Opera doesn't get nearly enough credit, it's a much better browser.

And for the CSS lovers out there, Opera 9 passes the Acid2 test, for what it's worth.

Me for one :P It's a good browser, but the memory issues are still a hang up for me. Opera doesn't get nearly enough credit, it's a much better browser.

And for the CSS lovers out there, Opera 9 passes the Acid2 test, for what it's worth.

The Acid2 test isn't as important as people make it out to be.

Archived