Idea for the Registration Terms & Rules

Guest .Nuke

Hi IPB

I have an idea for the Registration Terms & Rules
When an guest wish to registere an account on the board, the have to agree the Terms & Rules an that's okey.

But that if the administrator chooses to change the Terms & Rules, i think that the member also needs to accept the new Terms & Rules, before the can log in again.

If the Terms & Rules is change the member will be logged out of the forums, an the will see a BOX on the board index, there it says ( The board administrator has change the Terms & Rules an you have to accept the new Terms & Rules, before you can take the forums in use again... )

An if the member ignore the new Terms & Rules the are not able to log in, the have to read an accept the new Terms & Rules.

Ps. I hope you know where im going with this :)

This is a great idea. I'm in the process of changing mine and have said that I will email all users with a copy of the revised T&C's, should they continue to use the Board it will be deemed acceptance. This idea is much better and avoids the situation where Members fail to keep an up to date email address registered at your Board.

Yes, I agree that this is a very good idea!

I would say that this would be especially useful when new features/facilities are added to a board - gallery, blog and chat etc.

This would ensure that every member has to read and agree to the new rules etc.

Great!

TTFN

Dude, for a topic that is less than 10 hours old (at the time of this post), you shouldn't be bumping it already. It's already been getting responses, so calm down :lol:

Anyway, yeah it's a great idea. Let me do my infamous idea-expansion on it though.

Multiple "parts" for the terms & service, more specifically title, introduction, closing, footer, and then for the center, the ability to have multiple sections where you can have a title/description & terms, along with the ability to turn that section on or off. Title and terms would show to the visitors, the description would be for the admins use only, as sort of a "sub-title" or self-note for that section. That way when adding a section, if the admin hasn't had a chance to finish it, they can just have it set to not show yet. Or when updating the TOS, only go to the section they wish to update. Also, have a timestamp per section (all, including title,etc) to say when it was last updated. Be nice to have an option of having a running copy of the public viewable TOS so that if someone claims that they didn't know something was in the TOS, you could actually go back and show when it was first added (say there have been 2 or 3 revisions since then, you would have a record of when a change first took effect). Then on top of it all, options to 'implement' the new ToS (immediately or starting at a certain date/time), and wether to notify members of the change (ie, to require them to agree to the new terms or leave it up to the members to check it themselves, or to even just have an automatically deleting PM sent to everyone letting them know to read it).

Yeah, a bit much just for the ToS, but it would definitely be a nice feature enhancement on a professional level.

This is completely unnecessary, IMO. If you include a line in your TOS that states "We reserve the right to revise, amend, or modify this document and our other policies and agreements at any time and in any manner without notice to any party. All announcements posted by the administration and other site notices are to be considered included by reference.", you're covered and they only have to agree when they join. When we make changes, we post an announcement.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink (or read, as the case may be). You'll always have someone who'll say "No one told me that", whether they agreed to it or not. In fact, "I didn't know" is usually the first responce even if they did know.

I think the point is that it would give the admin of the board the added power to be able to say that the member violated a recent change that they had to agree to in order to continue using the board, meaning that if they didn't read it, that was their mistake. Having a screen tell you that there have been changes to the ToS is a major flag to ignore. The other features are more for the admins ease of use and self-record keeping, for rule-change tracking purposes. The part of making someone re-agree would be an optional setting, not a forced one.

I think the point is that it would give the admin of the board the added power to be able to say that the member violated a recent change that they had to agree to in order to continue using the board, meaning that if they didn't read it, that was their mistake. Having a screen tell you that there have been changes to the ToS is a major flag to ignore. The other features are more for the admins ease of use and self-record keeping, for rule-change tracking purposes. The part of making someone re-agree would be an optional setting, not a forced one.

That is so true, an i also think this option shout be an optional setting. I think it is important for the admin an the users/members to see that theres been change rules... :thumbsup:

I think this would be a nice feature too, although I have to say Dacity2's ideas (although nice) are probably a bit OTT for almost all IPB driven forums - it is probably more of an issue for service providers (ISPs etc.) as most forums are free services where the members just have to 'suck up' any changes etc. you put down.

Anyway, the general concept of explicitly drawing attention to TOS change (I like the PM idea actually) is certainly a good one, and something that you shouldn't need to do 'manually' as such (i.e. go to the effort of setting up a global annoucement as some others have stated).

I think this would be a nice feature too, although I have to say Dacity2's ideas (although nice) are probably a bit OTT for almost all IPB driven forums - ...

I just believe that since it's possible (as has been demonstrated with other features), instead of just a minor tweak, go all out and make it a professional level ToS, that way it would not only satisfy the initial request made, but also set it a level above the other forum softwares when it comes to the area of the ToS. It'd also be an appealing feature for companies wanting to get a pre-made professional style forum system if they can selectively edit parts of the ToS instead of having to edit the entire thing each time.

I do agree though, I tend to get feature rich on some of the more basic functions. :lol:

Archived