DO CONSIDER PLEASE

Guest ZainZ

Where users subscribe to a Forum/Topic ..... if THEY have entered an invalid email address in their registration profile (obviously if e-mail validation is inactive) ..... the E-MAIL sent to them by the board will be returned back.... and THUS spamming starts...... I get around 50 e-mails bounced back DAILY because of this........ post-61645-1105478839_thumb.jpg

SO, a reverse method should also be available in the admin CP ....... The method should be like... Listing all the topics/forums which have subscriptions....... so when i click on any forum/topic there.... i get a complete list of users who have subscribed to that particular forum/topic..... AND AND AND I am able to Remove that user's subscription from that forum/topic because his subscription is of NO USE.. since his e-mail address aint valid and i cannot afford turning e-mail validation ON .... so its a request to IPB coders... that for HEAVENSAKE do include this feature

Peace out!

You should enable the email confirmation system to [i]minimize[/i] the problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesnt minimise it enough. People's e-mail addresses can become invalid after they have registered. It only takes a few accounts to start bouncing before your forum e-mail account becomes flooded on a daily basis.

I even go further.

Something is definitely needed.

For all the validated members that I get bounce-backs on because there e-mail has become invalid since they registered, I just remove them all from tracking. I have to lookup their account though to get their member number and then run three sql queries to unsubscribe from all pm/topic tracking. It's an annoying task to keep going through. Here's the SQL queries for anyone interested:

DELETE FROM ibf_tracker WHERE member_id=9999; UPDATE ibf_members SET email_pm=0, auto_track=0 WHERE name="MemberName";

DELETE FROM ibf_forum_tracker WHERE member_id=9999;

I've requested mods before to do this automatically and make the member update their e-mail address: http://forums.invisionize.com/index.php?showtopic=63334

For help in stopping bouncebacks from new members with bad e-mails from resending the validation over and over, I think a "pre-email validation" system would be the way to go:
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=150842

Well as you know the board email address is used in the COPPA thing (email at bottom) and some other things... Maybe have an option to set the email for different things. An "advanced" option. That way you can set the notifications email thing to a null box or a box that deletes everything that gets put in it.

I use a noreply@domain.com email address and funnel it to the trash. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also use a separate e-mail address just for my forums. It doesn't help in my case because all my returns come from Mailer-Daemon@mydomain.com so it won't matter what e-mail address they were sent out from.

Something is definitely needed.

For all the validated members that I get bounce-backs on because there e-mail has become invalid since they registered, I just remove them all from tracking. I have to lookup their account though to get their member number and then run three sql queries to unsubscribe from all pm/topic tracking. It's an annoying task to keep going through. Here's the SQL queries for anyone interested:

DELETE FROM ibf_tracker WHERE member_id=9999; UPDATE ibf_members SET email_pm=0, auto_track=0 WHERE name="MemberName";

DELETE FROM ibf_forum_tracker WHERE member_id=9999;

I've requested mods before to do this automatically and make the member update their e-mail address: http://forums.invisionize.com/index.php?showtopic=63334
For help in stopping bouncebacks from new members with bad e-mails from resending the validation over and over, I think a "pre-email validation" system would be the way to go:
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=150842

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there a command to remove all members subscriptions instead of one at a time?

I support Vatoloco's idea. It would be very nice if on the admin CP when searching for members profiles, along the "Suspend Member", "Delete Member" and others, there would be an option to unsubscribe the member from all threads/forums s/he's subscribed to.

Is there a command to remove all members subscriptions instead of one at a time?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the same commands, just remove the "WHERE .." clause. Or:

truncate table ibf_tracker; update ibf_members set email_pm=0, auto_track=0;

truncate table ibf_forum_tracker;

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to know why, when I unsubscribe to a forum or topic, it ends up being subscribed again and I end up being flooded with emails from my site. My members are having the same problem. Any ideas how I can get rid of the feature all together?

I just want to know why, when I unsubscribe to a forum or topic, it ends up being subscribed again and I end up being flooded with emails from my site.  My members are having the same problem.  Any ideas how I can get rid of the feature all together?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Become a customer... and I'll give you the answer.
Plus, chances are one of your loyal members is a customer and will like seeing you here :thumbsup:

Actually, if you really want to block incoming email from a certain address, do this:(information from my host, and you require cpanel to do it)

The best solution would be to go to cPanel->mail->email filtering->add filter, then selection "To" in the drop down box, "contains" from the next dropdown box, and put "forum@yourdomain.com"(email you want to block incoming emails on) in the next box. Leave the destination as "Discard" and click "Activate".

Archived