Icon Design for 2x Reply Buttons

Guest Quotes

I have upgraded my forum from v1.3.1 to v2 and two of the button icons are throwing my users.

a) Reply directly to this post ( " Reply )

b) Add Reply ( + Add Reply )

The number of instances of the quoted reply button (a) and relative closeness to the topic text means that many users are including a quote of the previous post rather than scrolling down the page to the add reply button (b), simply because it is the path of least resistance.

As a result topics are filling up with unnecessary quoted text which is a waste of resources.

Can I suggest that in a future release you consider putting the add reply button (b) alongside the other post buttons (! report, ^ top, + quote, " reply) and changing the icon design for (b) into something like "comment" so that people don't get the two functions confused.

c) Toggle multiquote addition ( + Quote )

Also, although I understand the inherent beauty of the multiquote button it isn't obvious how it should work. Rather than having a button which is associated with an action you might want to change its look so people understand it is a modifier of the add reply button (b). A checkbox would work and you could call something like "include".

I have upgraded my forum from v1.3.1 to v2 and two of the button icons are throwing my users.

a) Reply directly to this post ( " Reply )

b) Add Reply ( + Add Reply )

The number of instances of the quoted reply button (a) and relative closeness to the topic text means that many users are including a quote of the previous post rather than scrolling down the page to the add reply button (b), simply because it is the path of least resistance.

As a result topics are filling up with unnecessary quoted text which is a waste of resources.

Can I suggest that in a future release you consider putting the add reply button (b) alongside the other post buttons (! report, ^ top, + quote, " reply) and changing the icon design for (b) into something like "comment" so that people don't get the two functions confused.

c) Toggle multiquote addition ( + Quote )

Also, although I understand the inherent beauty of the multiquote button it isn't obvious how it should work. Rather than having a button which is associated with an action you might want to change its look so people understand it is a modifier of the add reply button (b). A checkbox would work and you could call something like "include".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See what I mean?

I totally agree with your suggestion.

The necessity of making this change is why I'm suggesting IPB should take it onboard to roll out in the next release so that other forum owners don't have to go to the same trouble.

Also, even though I've got a copy of the Photoshop file for the v2 interface the icon text is already merged with its background so I'm unable to recreate the same look and feel. I was rather hoping the text layers would have been editable and the backgrounds flattened to a single layer.

I don't suppose you know the text specs or know someone who can create a button that says "+ Comment" instead of "Reply" (p_quote.gif)?

Archived