Undelete feature!

Guest cooldude7273

Okay, sometimes I wanna put a topic back to its orginal place that was previously placed in the recycle bin. Only problem is I don't remember where it came from!

What would solve this?

And undelete feature!

Juts like the one in Windows where you can go into the recyle bin and press "Restore this item" Thats basically what I'm looking for!

Watcha think?

Definitely!

I think that there should be a flag that indicates that the post is marked as deleted, and then would use the first X lines to store all the information about the post...

Forum ID, topic ID, *who* deleted it, when, and if given, the reason for deleting it.

Forum ID: [##] name of forum

Topic ID: [##] Name of topic deleted from (even if it's the only post in the topic)

Deleted: (date/time) [b]BY[/b] (username)

Reason: (n/a or reason)

Would tell you everything you need to know up front, without modifying the original topic/description, and with an undelete button popped up, simply clicking that and it's restored.. THAT would be sweet.

Also would be nice if it had some rank control.. ie, if the user who deleted it is the admin, then a regular moderator couldn't undelete it.

:)

Okay, sometimes I wanna put a topic back to its orginal place that was previously placed in the recycle bin. Only problem is I don't remember where it came from!

By the way, you can tell. It tells you the original topic ID #. You can go to your url, change the topic # to the original, and see where it came from. More than you should have to do, but thats a way to do it.
:thumbsup:

I think this is possible. The entries seem to remain in the ACP until you optimize your database (as the size of your database is greatly reduced each time you optimize it); so I don't see why this would not work. It also remains the same size after deleting stuff. So there is another reason.

What I'm wondering and thinking that could be done is when a message is deleted, instead of it being made into a new topic, it could just be flagged as being deleted, and in a seperate part of the database, an entry made giving a reason for the deletion (and who did it) so that it would take up less space..

Then, for all messages as being marked deleted (well, rather, marked "trash-can") would show up in the trashcan until deleted by the admin..

Once deleted by the admin, wouldn't show up in the trashcan anymore..

And obviously, in the topic thread, it wouldn't show messages that do NOT have the "delete" flag set in any way.

Would make "Undeleting" easier, as all it would have to do is null the flag and it would be back in its original spot.

Heck, it could be combined with the hidden/unhidden(approved/unapproved) into a single status flag..
d=deleted, h=hidden, t=trashcan (null=unhidden/not-deleted)

In the trashcan "forum", it could list only the "d" messages, and since it would have the original information in it, it wouldn't be difficult at all to show the topic it's in, forum it's in, etc.

Archived