Ryan Ashbrook

New: Copy Topic to Database

This is an entry about our IPS Community Suite 4.2 release

We have introduced a feature which will allow moderators, with permission, to copy topics from the Forums application, into any custom database in the Pages application.

mod menu.jpg

New Moderation Item

This feature will copy the contents of the first post of a topic, and copy it as the body of the new record. The moderator copying the topic will then be given a pre-populated form which will have the Title and Content fields automatically filled with the topic title and first post contents, which then can be modified to add any additional notes (such as an editors note at the bottom). The form will also include any custom fields that can be filled in, as well as all moderation options you would normally see when creating a record.

form.jpg

Form Input

In addition to all of the normal options you would typically see, there are two additional options. The first is the ability to copy all posts in the topic as comments on the new record. The second is the ability to post the record as the original topic author, or as the moderator copying the topic.

This new feature is very useful when you might see a topic in the forums that you want to copy to an article or keep in a permanent knowledge base.

Comments

Isn't this the old "Promote to article" feature? I guess the change is that now you can choose any database and not just articles (and copy all posts). But yeah, being able to use it for other application would be a much better improvement. I guess it could be supported using a new application extension.

1 minute ago, teraßyte said:

A few examples: attachment from a post to become a file on Downloads; an image from a post or article to become a gallery image, etc.

2 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

I guess it could be supported using a new application extension.

True.

1) It would be good to have this opportunity to copy the topic to blogs, as well as from blogs to the forum.
2) It would be very good if you could separate comments from articles or blogs and move them as a new forum topic.

4 hours ago, Apfelstrudel said:

Only first post makes in 99,9% of our cases no sense because the real good content (answer) follows after the first post.

Look at the picture, you can add the posts as comments with a toggle.

Sorry for asking but what is the real sense of that feature? Why do I need topics in a database? At the moment I can't find a good approach.

Posts contain a lot of senseless content or even sentences.

Why do I want to have double content?

14 hours ago, Apfelstrudel said:

Posts contain a lot of senseless content or even sentences.

Why do I want to have double content?

Offhand, I'd say that, as per the original article, this allows valuable posts to be copied to a knowledge base or other archive because forums might be pruned after X amount of time, which could delete the post.

21 hours ago, Roman_Bak said:

I agree.  It would be great to promote blog entries to (database) articles as well, as blogs often evoke more "writerly" entries than forums posts.

This said, keep rolling out the 4.2 tasters, IPS...love what you're doing with it! :)

Edited by liquidfractal

On 25/06/2017 at 2:09 PM, Ohio Guns said:

Has anyone tried this yet. I'm just now attempting it on Beta 6 and it is just coming back with a blank popup that says "Select Database"

Click the dropdown and it will bring up the article categories, and then any subcategories.

The feature is kinda broken though, I just tried it, in the same way I used "Promote to Article" to promote a forum thread to a frontpage article, except it created a duplicate forum thread.

I've put in a bug report already.

On 27/7/2017 at 11:11 PM, HighlanderICT said:

How do I enable this ? I dont seem to have this available as an option for moderators or admins ?

Me too, can't find this feature.

Thanks in advance