How do I know Converter is working correctly

John Horton

I installed SEO Essentials and am surprised at how many 404 Errors it is showing me. I expected some broken links from my CMS data but not nearly this much. 

I assumed that all my forum data would have broken links because my old forum was embedded with an iframe.

So how do I confirm that Converter is doing it's job as well as possible?

The converter would bring over data from your old application. It does not seem you mentioned which forum software you converted from, if it is one which we supply 301 redirects, these would indeed work.

I am a little confused about what you mean with the iframe. Iframe would still expose your forum's URLs so these are the URLs which search engines would index and thus, if you use a converter with an applicable 301 redirect tool of ours, these would be updated.

Essentially, we would need to know what you converted from and a URL which is broken that you expect to be redirected to test if it is working.

Just now, John Horton said:

@Jim M

My old site was a Joomla CMS with a Vanilla forum embedded in an iframe. It is the Joomla links that I am seeing in the 404 report. It would be amazing if the vanilla links were good also.  

Did you convert Joomla and Vanilla? 

Vanilla will have redirects so that your old Vanilla URLs will redirect to the new Invision Community ones. However, depending on your setup, Joomla should just take over if pages/databases are named similarly but will not redirect 100%.

Yes, we converted both. Honestly, I hired a guy so ..... I do not know that it was configured correctly. 

Looking at the 404 report I do not see forum ULRs except for the forum index page(s). Maybe the question here is if I should redirect the forum index or not.

Looks like the Joomla page links are lost.

2 minutes ago, John Horton said:

Looking at the 404 report I do not see forum ULRs except for the forum index page(s). Maybe the question here is if I should redirect the forum index or not.

Where was the forum URL before? If it was at your root or another used URL, it would not be advised to do so. If it does lead to a 404, you can do that via your server with help from your hosting provider.