Sources and Interface and the App Scanner

All Astronauts

This is not about the app scanner specifically, sort of... It's more the case of the App Scanner exposing a long-term issue (it's not been a real problem until now).

Given how long the 4 series has been out in the wild, there is a LOT of relic code laying about. I'm talking about applications with sources directories/files that are no longer used and leftover stuff in the interface directories.

Naturally, the App Scanner is now flagging a lot of this stuff - at least at the log level. That's not a big deal but the hitch is this: If I remove interface files and directories, or source files and directories, from my application and upload the new version, the upgrade process does not iterate through what's in the updated app versus what's on the server. So the relic directories and files remain, and the scanner is finding them and flagging them (again, just logs for now as far as I can tell).

Self-hosted people can deal with this easily enough - just get on the server and delete the files and directories. That's not a viable solution for CIC users.

If you want us to write out the code on upgrades to nuke these things I'm sure we can do that. I'm equally sure that's the last thing you want us to code up and throw at your CIC infrastructure.

Thoughts?

We would prefer if authors wouldn't try to delete anything on client systems, there's just way too much what could go wrong(and in fact, it did a while as somebody tried to do it in his app but with the wrong path).

I think the best approach would be to just remove the content from any deprecated file instead of completely removing it.

Then, as others pointed out, you'll need to be careful with the scanner flagging out apps with no longer in use source and interface stuff that's just lying around, and I'll make a point to be sure when I'm dumping structure like that to be sure on my end not to forget about the namespacing hooks that might be still calling them 🤪