Is there any commercial smtp server that can be used in IPS?

37 minutes ago, AlexJ said:

With SMTP we noticed forum slowness issues.

Just so no one misunderstands this: the slowness comes from initiating the SMTP connection while certain actions like replying to a topic with followers are performed. It is not related to AWS. All external SMTP services will show that problem unless IPS moves those mails to a background task for all situations. 

9 minutes ago, opentype said:

Just so no one misunderstands this: the slowness comes from initiating the SMTP connection while certain actions like replying to a topic with followers are performed. It is not related to AWS. All external SMTP services will show that problem unless IPS moves those mails to a background task for all situations. 

+1

Moving away from SMTP to API years ago was a big performance improvement.  It made the largest difference on large topics.

I agree that AWS is likely the "better" API-based email provider.  The only reason I did not recommend it is that Sendgrid is already natively supported by IPB and that any other API-based provider will need a 3rd party application to support.  

In addition AWS email integration is not for the faint of heart if you're not very technically competent.  🙂 

• 1 month later...

I can highly recommend Sendgrid. We have 130,000 (active) members, and nearly 6 million posts. Email was flaky at best for password reminders, email account validations, and notifications. Switching to Sendgrid was one of the best things we have done for reliable deliverability and sender reputation. We just don't get blacklisted any more either.