Developing an mobile application for a pages database

Steve Bullman

I have been given a quote by a developer to make an app that will get populate data from an IPS database or application. He is not an IPS dev but seems to think its not a problem. My question is, has anyone done similar, and if so are there any hurdles to overcome? I have had previous experience with apple and android apps and they would constantly break everytime iOS was updated. I am concerned a combination of that along with IPS updates might cause a lot of problems.

I have in mind a couple of different apps. One of them would require a member to belong to a premium usergroup to access the data. This would obviously mean having to log into the app with their IPS username and password, and i'm hoping that it will also be doable to accomplish having this all sync up together.

Look forward to your replies.

47 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I have had previous experience with apple and android apps and they would constantly break everytime iOS was updated. I am concerned a combination of that along with IPS updates might cause a lot of problems.

Things changing as there are upgrades will always be an issue for any custom development.

To guard against large impacting changes as much as possible, make sure that in your scope of work, the developer is only interacting with IPS through the API and does not directly touch or have access to the IPS database.