Fresh Install - Fresh Server

PECarter

Hello All,

I am looking for some help moving the entire database from my old server to the new one. I am not sure how to go about doing it, I was able to "restore" the old SQL database into my new server, however my old MySQL database has a different name (not anymore), username, and password, so I don't know how to point the new server to the imported database. Can anyone help me or direct me on the easiest way to do this?

5 hours ago, Carter_Markham said:

Hello All,

I am looking for some help moving the entire database from my old server to the new one. I am not sure how to go about doing it, I was able to "restore" the old SQL database into my new server, however my old MySQL database has a different name (not anymore), username, and password, so I don't know how to point the new server to the imported database. Can anyone help me or direct me on the easiest way to do this?

At a guess (someone correcct me if wrong) and all depends what version of IPB the database is from)

You have imported the old database

upload the ipb files to server (making sure to add the conf_global.php file with old database name, url etc ... better still if you have the original conf_global.php file from ipb version which created the old database then just add that into forum root folder and change the url in that file) .... if url being used is same as used for the old database then no need to change url if you have old conf_global.php file

then run upgrade (url_to_forum/admin/upgrade)

It will ask you your username and password (enter the username and password of the old database)

then follow any instructions

Else:

Upload same version of IPB that was used for your database (assuming you still have that version) and install IPB (using same username and password and old database)

then in cPanel >>phpmyadmin 'drop' all tables etc in the database that was created

import your old database into the database you just created and dropped tables from

all being well should now be working

If all ok then can upgrade to latest version of IPB if wanted to

NOTE: make sure you have a backup of database before attempting anything in case anything goes wrong

7 hours ago, Carter_Markham said:

Hello All,

If you restored the dataabse copy in a database at your new host, all you have to do is make sure to update the conf_global.php file with the info of that new database and you should be good to go.

I tried changing the files to the correct MySQL database and I get a 500 error.

I then tried to move the entire server contents from the old to the new and change the config files and get an error about line 335 on initdata.php which is define( ‘IPS_FOLDER_PERMISSION’ , 0777)

That file doesn’t even exist with the new install of the latest version of 4. I only see it on the old install version 3.4. 

5 hours ago, steve00 said:

At a guess (someone correcct me if wrong) and all depends what version of IPB the database is from)

You have imported the old database

upload the ipb files to server (making sure to add the conf_global.php file with old database name, url etc ... better still if you have the original conf_global.php file from ipb version which created the old database then just add that into forum root folder and change the url in that file) .... if url being used is same as used for the old database then no need to change url if you have old conf_global.php file

then run upgrade (url_to_forum/admin/upgrade)

It will ask you your username and password (enter the username and password of the old database)

then follow any instructions

Else:

Upload same version of IPB that was used for your database (assuming you still have that version) and install IPB (using same username and password and old database)

then in cPanel >>phpmyadmin 'drop' all tables etc in the database that was created

import your old database into the database you just created and dropped tables from

all being well should now be working

If all ok then can upgrade to latest version of IPB if wanted to

NOTE: make sure you have a backup of database before attempting anything in case anything goes wrong

I just found my IPB 3.4 version. I’m going to try and delete the new version from the server and install the old version. Import the database and see if it works. If it does then I’ll upgrade to the latest version. 

So I tried to load a fresh install of 3.4. When I run xxx.com/admin/install I get the following error. This error is different than when I tried to import using the latest IPB Version, that one gives me a similar error but its on line 335.

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_magic_quotes_runtime() in /home2/cmarkham/public_html/forums/initdata.php:355 Stack trace: #0 /home2/cmarkham/public_html/forums/admin/index.php(21): require_once() #1 {main} thrown in /home2/cmarkham/public_html/forums/initdata.php on line 355

1 minute ago, Carter_Markham said:

So I tried to load a fresh install of 3.4. When I run xxx.com/admin/install I get the following error. This error is different than when I tried to import using the latest IPB Version, that one gives me a similar error but its on line 335.

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_magic_quotes_runtime() in /home2/cmarkham/public_html/forums/initdata.php:355 Stack trace: #0 /home2/cmarkham/public_html/forums/admin/index.php(21): require_once() #1 {main} thrown in /home2/cmarkham/public_html/forums/initdata.php on line 355

What version is your ipb forum that you are trying to migrade, 3.4x?

Anyways, this error indicates that your host is running an older version of php because the set_magic_quotes_runtime() function no longer exists in php 7. You must contact your host so they can upgrade their php version.

2 minutes ago, Faqole said:

What version is your ipb forum that you are trying to migrade, 3.4x?

Anyways, this error indicates that your host is running an older version of php because the set_magic_quotes_runtime() function no longer exists in php 7. You must contact your host so they can upgrade their php version.

I have a 3.4 version, and I downloaded the latest version available now. I just want to move my entire forum to the new server using the newest version. 

I am running PHP version 7.1 currently. When I did a fresh install of the latest IP Version I was running 5.3 but had upgraded it to the latest version 7.1

2 minutes ago, Carter_Markham said:

I have a 3.4 version, and I downloaded the latest version available now. I just want to move my entire forum to the new server using the newest version. 

I am running PHP version 7.1 currently. When I did a fresh install of the latest IP Version I was running 5.3 but had upgraded it to the latest version 7.1

In that case that error should not be displayed anymore.

Regarding the move, you can either upgrade your forum in the old server and then move th enewly upgraded forum to the new server, or you can do the upgrade at the new server. 

3 minutes ago, Faqole said:

Regarding the move, you can either upgrade your forum in the old server and then move th enewly upgraded forum to the new server, or you can do the upgrade at the new server. 

My reason for a fresh install was to get rid of the junk plugins, addons, customs modifications and themes. It is really cluttered.

28 minutes ago, Carter_Markham said:

My reason for a fresh install was to get rid of the junk plugins, addons, customs modifications and themes. It is really cluttered.

think will find all that junk might still be in the database (I could be wrong of course) ?

1 hour ago, Faqole said:

Well this is odd, I downgraded to PHP 5.6 and the installer is running right along....

51 minutes ago, steve00 said:

think will find all that junk might still be in the database (I could be wrong of course) ?

Good point... I am going to try the suggested above.

First running the install of the 3.4 version on the new server with the old database and see if it works, then upgrade to the newest version of IPB. Fingers crossed!

If that doesn't work I'll try upgrading the old server and zip everything up and migrate to the new server.

Install went faster than expected. Now the only thing is none of my content shows up...

How do I get all my content on the new server (Forum categories, users, posts etc.)

17 minutes ago, Carter_Markham said:

Well this is odd, I downgraded to PHP 5.6 and the installer is running right along....

Good point... I am going to try the suggested above.

First running the install of the 3.4 version on the new server with the old database and see if it works, then upgrade to the newest version of IPB. Fingers crossed!

If that doesn't work I'll try upgrading the old server and zip everything up and migrate to the new server.

Install went faster than expected. Now the only thing is none of my content shows up...

How do I get all my content on the new server (Forum categories, users, posts etc.)

You have to restore your most recent backup of your database backup.

Just now, Faqole said:

You have to restore your most recent backup of your database backup.

I restored mySQL database. I looked at the database in phpmyadmin and all my old stuff is there. The new install of 3.4 is directed to that database. 

3 hours ago, steve00 said:

think php 7 would not work with ipb 3.4.x ?

so need to install ipb 3.4.x

then drop all database via phpmyadmin

import database backup of 3.4.x into the database

check if that then works before proceding any further

That was the problem, I downgraded to 5.6 and it installed fine, I'm waiting for the database to restore right now. I uploaded it uncompressed at 194MB and its actually processing.

Now I am getting this...

www.mainelysubarus.com Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.

If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again. 

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

2 minutes ago, Carter_Markham said:

Now I am getting this...

www.mainelysubarus.com Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.

If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again. 

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

I do not see that error. I can load your forum fine right now.

Archived