WP > IPB converter

KiteLife

Thanks for the reply Ryan.

Just bought Pages and took a look at the converter, which of these options I should select on Step 1 for a WP import?

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 3.31.28 AM.png

If I had to guess, I'd guess Blog Data but that only gives me an import option for vBulletin Blog. :/

Thanks in advance!

Took a look at the System/Members import option and it gives me this...

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 3.41.44 AM.png

That's a little disconcerting because we don't have 5789 members in our Wordpress installation... Not even sure we have 1660.

Needless to say, I didn't begin the conversion - hoping for a basic walkthrough for WP. ;)

My main issue is that almost none of the verbiage in IPB converter matches the verbiage used by Wordpress, hard to intuit what should be imported and what shouldn't... Spent a good deal of time looking for some kind of FAQ, but no luck so far. ^_^

Sorry for rambling, but I hope this experience will be useful for others in my shoes. ^_^

Some trial and error...

It seems the only two converter options that apply to Wordpress are:

• "Member and System Information"
  • "Pages and Record Data"

All of the other options bring up selections for other software, but not Wordpress.

I started them in that order, and put "Pages" under the "Member / Systems" parent and I get this...

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 11.07.20 AM.png

Both of the available Wordpress imports in the cue...

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 11.10.26 AM.png

Combined with the "count" for Members, I'm even more confused because I see nothing that correlates with the real total numbers in Wordpress except maybe Pages (close):

• WP Users - 1503
  • WP Posts - 1563
  • WP Pages - 18

I'll try to stop clogging up this discussion and wait for a reply, but I wanted to show that I have been trying to figure it out in earnest. ^_^

Okay, ran ahead a bit... Just got twitchy. ^_^

Converting anything it will allow me to, under Wordpress, no "empty local" checked.

Going good so far I think, only Media left to convert now (6900 out of 23,577 atm).

Will update as I work through the process some more.

=

After converting everything, I'll click "finish" for everything in the same order, one at a time.

Then I'll check through the pages and content to try and get a feel for how everything is laid out.

==

Not trying to plug anything up here, hopefully my rambling will serve as a Migrating for Dummies reference for others until there's an FAQ. ^_^

Thanks for your time and effort, truly - my meandering is certainly no reflection to the quality of this migration tool.

Okay, got everything converted and "finished" but I've got a few issues...

- Every image in each post (thumbnail and clickable) is using links to the old Wordpress files, nothing imported.

- Many, many galleries were not imported or referenced at all in the new database records.

- Categories structure was not preserved, all of them converted into top level categories.

There's more, but those are some examples.

=

We published a Wordpress ezine for 15 years and there's simply too much content for me to go through and clean up.

Any thoughts on a better way to go about this?

Thanks. ^_^

It also appears very few posts (records) were assigned to the categories in which they belong.

Since this is coming over from an ezine with so many years behind us, re-assigning categories to every record would take years.

Archived