User register, user id increment also if no confirm

ipbfuck

Hi!

In this last day two users, from google login, has register (email notification with "guest as register...") and no confirm (then, automatic deletion after some time).

but id increment is valid also for this invalid registration, then, a bad user in a virgin community can start to register and undo n*times, and cause a bad user-id counter (100 user id - instead exist only admin).

i think this need some improvements, but i don't know how :p

regards...

There's nothing that can be done about that - member ID is determined by a number that is constrained by the database to be unique, and which automatically counts up on the database side to ensure that it is unique. If you want to start member IDs from a low value again, research resetting mysql's autoincrement counter, but I don't see any point in IPS doing it just to have a slightly lower number displayed on some users' profiles.

but a bad user can cause a bad user counter in any community with this!

maybe is best to assign user id only if registration is verified/confirmed.

or reassign latest deleted id (eg: 105 no confirmed/deleted = new user reassign id 105)!

-

i try to explain with example:

new community, only admin (counter to 1), a lamer star with fake registration and delete every time instead to confirm.

one day later this community, only with admin, has user id to 1000 cause of this user.

28 minutes ago, laltroweb.it said:

but a bad user can cause a bad user counter in any community with this!

maybe is best to assign user id only if registration is verified/confirmed.

or reassign latest deleted id (eg: 105 no confirmed/deleted = new user reassign id 105)!

-

i try to explain with example:

new community, only admin (counter to 1), a lamer star with fake registration and delete every time instead to confirm.

one day later this community, only with admin, has user id to 1000 cause of this user.

But you shouldn't use the member ID as a user counter anyway, and most people don't notice it anyway. Your idea of reassigning the ID if the member is deleted sounds harmless, but it would add code complexity for very little tangible benefit. As I said, you can modify the autoincrement counter yourself, but I don't think it is worth the development time to add it as a suite feature.

I've a different opinion. if i register in a community and my id is 100 i think exist about 100 user and not just one or two (this is extreme example, but possible with actual system).

Anyway, thanks. For reply ^_^

Archived