Tag sort, not tag search please, issues when in content area

chilihead

If you use tags in forums and click a tag, instead of showing all content tagged in that forum, it shows all content with that tag across all apps using the search by tag function. Since it uses search, it also shows an expanded version as well, with truncated post text. Can it use sort instead so it only shows what is in the forum or category, and is a list of titles?

This is not useful if the person is trying to find what's in that forum or category. If they want to do a tag search they can go to search, but if they click the tag in a forum it should show tagged content from that forum (content category).

If it can't use sort and has to use search, can it please have the content area parameters set in search automatically? So if I click a tag in "Product Reviews" the search has that forum selected automatically, then if they want to expand the search the can.

Also tags really should be in the sort function anyway and they are not, can that be added?

Thank you.

Example: Member viewing forum clicks a tag in a topic looking for all other topics in that forum and gets Gallery images, downloads, and posts from every forum all mixed.

This is especially useful when using closed system, as they work as filters, just like this site does with app names, etc. You want what's in the content area you clicked (first, at least). I would think that would be the expected behavior.

I noticed in 3.4 if you click a tag in the forums, it displays forum content only, with a navigation menu on the left side to change the app.

In 4.1 you get mixed results from all apps.

I'd still like it to be within the actual forum or app category, but even 3.4 did it better by restricting to app.

Let's say I have a Classifieds database, For Sale tag in Chevy, and one in Ford. If I click the tag in the Ford cateogry, I want to see all of the Ford - For Sale results, not Chevy, forums, blogs, galleries, anything with the same tag (unless I decide I want to expand the results).

Is there any way this can be addressed?

• 1 year later...
On 2016-01-15 at 7:13 PM, chilihead said:

If you use tags in forums and click a tag, instead of showing all content tagged in that forum, it shows all content with that tag across all apps using the search by tag function. Since it uses search, it also shows an expanded version as well, with truncated post text. Can it use sort instead so it only shows what is in the forum or category, and is a list of titles?

This is not useful if the person is trying to find what's in that forum or category. If they want to do a tag search they can go to search, but if they click the tag in a forum it should show tagged content from that forum (content category).

If it can't use sort and has to use search, can it please have the content area parameters set in search automatically? So if I click a tag in "Product Reviews" the search has that forum selected automatically, then if they want to expand the search the can.

Also tags really should be in the sort function anyway and they are not, can that be added?

Thank you.

@chilihead I'm looking for this functionality too. (click on a tag and show posts with that tag from that forum only, preferably not using search results. Did you end up figuring a way to achieve this?

Archived