Caching

Jay4255

Just switched to a new webserver on a new host and I'm trying to enable caching. I originally started out with XCache since it was compatible with the most versions of PHP, but found reports saying that it doesn't install correctly through easyapache on cPanel. So I removed it an enabled eAccelerator, everything compiled fine and ran without any errors. When I login the admin cp, and goto the data storage, all the caching options are disabled as if they're not installed. I even tried restarted the apache service, and no change.

Anyone have any ideas as to why all of my caching options are disabled, or what I can do to enable at least one of them? Not really picky on which one.

Don't know why options are disabled, had same issue. Below is what I did to get XCache up and running on my server: 

XCache Install with WHM for Forum

If you are using WHM to install XCache, there is an additional step some may need to make to get it running successfully. Here is what happened and the steps I took.

• Originally installed XCache via WHM. Selected "XCache" in ACP and got the following fatal error on the forum - "XCache var cache was not initialized properly". Uninstalled XCache. (removing the constants.php file will remove the error)
  • After some research installed Xcache again and PHPInfo.php to see what is configured or enabled on the server.
  • Next, used vi to edit PHP.ini and ONLY changed xcache.size (to 64M) and xcache.var.size (to 32M). Next restarted Apache. (see "Inside PHP.ini" below)
  • Then I selected XCache as caching method in ACP and followed the instructions (System, advanced configuration, data storage). Next I changed the "Cache page output for guests" from 30 to 180 (Personal preference what you want based on your server resources). XCache started working with the forum after finishing instructions.

* Notes:

• - xcache.size and possibly xcache.var.size amount may vary for your machine.
  • - With my configuration, eAccelerator & Opcache were automatically disabled.
  • - If you have wordpress installed, keep an eye on that too.
  • - Some have reported that their forum has slowed down after a day or so. That is what I'll be monitoring. (possibly adjust xcache.size & var down if so.)

(Inside PHP.ini)
; zend_extension = /opt/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/xcache.so extension = xcache.so
[xcache]
xcache.shm_scheme = "mmap"
xcache.size = 64M
xcache.count = 1
xcache.slots = 8K
xcache.ttl = 0
xcache.gc_interval = 0
xcache.var_size = 32M
xcache.var_count = 1
xcache.var_slots = 8K
xcache.var_ttl = 0
xcache.var_maxttl = 0