Hide Groups From Searches

Meddysong

Is there any way to make a group invisible, so that only admins and people in it know it exists?

I'm using IPS 4.0 to build a suite for a charity for which my wife and I both volunteer as trustees. One of the features is a Pages database to help the trustees keep track of their work tasks, and we thought it might be nice to have such a thing set up for ourselves in our private lives too, since I'm really, really, shockingly disorganised and she's too busy to micro-manage me. The only thing is that we want privacy, so we'd have to set up a member group with just us two in it and make the database only visible to us. (I'm the sole admin so no problem of other admins seeing it.)

The problem is that when doing an advanced search, it's possible to narrow down by membership groups, and so our private group would appear in the list too. We'd rather nobody see this and thereafter ask what the group is for and who is in it, so is there any way to make groups private and not appear in searches etc? If not, could there be scope for this?

Is there any way to make a group invisible, so that only admins and people in it know it exists?

I'm using IPS 4.0 to build a suite for a charity for which my wife and I both volunteer as trustees. One of the features is a Pages database to help the trustees keep track of their work tasks, and we thought it might be nice to have such a thing set up for ourselves in our private lives too, since I'm really, really, shockingly disorganised and she's too busy to micro-manage me. The only thing is that we want privacy, so we'd have to set up a member group with just us two in it and make the database only visible to us. (I'm the sole admin so no problem of other admins seeing it.)

The problem is that when doing an advanced search, it's possible to narrow down by membership groups, and so our private group would appear in the list too. We'd rather nobody see this and thereafter ask what the group is for and who is in it, so is there any way to make groups private and not appear in searches etc? If not, could there be scope for this?

​.

If you go to Pages > databases > permissions .. will that not do the trick ? .. It suppose to be ..

No, because there are several people in the same secondary groups as my wife and I are, so they'll be able to see our personal stuff too. Even if we don't publish a link to it, the record name will appear in searches as something to narrow down by.

So what we need to do is create our own group and give only ourselves permission to see our private stuff. But the problem there is that a new group that nobody else knows about appears as a searchable option when you do an advanced search for members. We want this group to be invisible.

group.thumb.jpg.d63396daf1146990eb40c264

No, because there are several people in the same secondary groups as my wife and I are, so they'll be able to see our personal stuff too. Even if we don't publish a link to it, the record name will appear in searches as something to narrow down by.

So what we need to do is create our own group and give only ourselves permission to see our private stuff. But the problem there is that a new group that nobody else knows about appears as a searchable option when you do an advanced search for members. We want this group to be invisible.

group.thumb.jpg.d63396daf1146990eb40c264

​.

If you are administrator then you don't need any second group activated because you have mostly all the rights already ..

Just use permissions in Pages > databases .. deselect see database & view records for all but only administrators ..

Then you have your private database ..

I understand what you wanna do .. but no option or setting for that .. I think it's not needed .. you can do it in a simple logic way ..

I've tested myself with the search .. and it is not displaying anything to members ..

My wife is not an administrator and I'm not going to make her one. We want our own group with just the two of us in it. We don't want it to be publicly viewable. That's it. Please don't respond again with trivialites about database permissions. That's not what I'm asking about.

My wife is not an administrator and I'm not going to make her one. We want our own group with just the two of us in it. We don't want it to be publicly viewable. That's it. Please don't respond again with trivialites about database permissions. That's not what I'm asking about.

​.

to hide your group(s) in search :

child(number) .. this example will remove (layout) administrator (was on the 1st place) from the search > members > group ..

add this in your custom.css file ..

#core_members_group .ipsField_fieldList li:nth-child(1) {
  display: none;
}

2015-05-04_2-52-12.thumb.png.3e0d00f343a

anyway  :)  .. don't forget your permissions in your database too ..

Sorry, I hadn't noticed your response until getting the notification from this bump. I've just tried it and it works perfectly. (Note to self: Always keep the secret group in the same position!)

Thanks for your help - my wife will be really pleased now that she'll be able to control me a bit better :)

Archived