Remembering Users Last Read Post of a Thread?

JEFF MACK

Wow, the one feature that seems to be hitting me a lot from my users is the 3.x feature that remembered where people left off reading a thread.  Is this a setting that I missed or is it just not there?  People are really irate that it is not remember that last post that they read and that they spend more time looking for it.  Now some just don't bother and that is loosing page views, time on site, etc.

yes that is there, but unless I am mistaken, it used to do that automatically for users no?

​Are you talking about what happens when you click the title of the link? The topic title takes you to Page 1, clicking the star/circle takes you to the first unread post. If you want the topic title to take you to first unread post you can alter that in your theme. 

​Are you talking about what happens when you click the title of the link? The topic title takes you to Page 1, clicking the star/circle takes you to the first unread post. If you want the topic title to take you to first unread post you can alter that in your theme. 

​Do you know what the attribute is for that? Or what should be changed?

​Do you know what the attribute is for that? Or what should be changed?

​Click to edit your theme's Templates (Edit Html & CSS button), and then find the template forums-> front-> forums-> topicRow

Then change the code for the link.  Find

<a href='{$row->url()}' {{if $row->tableHoverUrl and $row->canView()}}data-ipsHover data-ipsHover-target='{$row->url()->setQueryString('preview', 1)}' data-ipsHover-timeout='1.5'{{endif}} itemprop="url">
		<span itemprop="name">
			{{if $row->mapped('title')}}{wordbreak="$row->mapped('title')"}{{else}}<em class="ipsType_light">{lang="content_deleted"}</em>{{endif}}
		</span>
	</a>

and change to:

<a href='{$row->url('getNewComment')}' {{if $row->tableHoverUrl and $row->canView()}}data-ipsHover data-ipsHover-target='{$row->url()->setQueryString('preview', 1)}' data-ipsHover-timeout='1.5'{{endif}} itemprop="url">
		<span itemprop="name">
			{{if $row->mapped('title')}}{wordbreak="$row->mapped('title')"}{{else}}<em class="ipsType_light">{lang="content_deleted"}</em>{{endif}}
		</span>
	</a>

So basically you are just changing $row->url() to $row->url('getNewComment') in order to change the link to new post instead of first post. Make sure to hit Save and you are done. 

Even on this forum, I go click the little dot that you see in that animated image above these posts and it just sends me to the last post, even if I did read the thread at all.

​.

Yes .. good find .. opening a topic will assume that you read all posts, not just a part of it (wherever you stopped reading) .. if you revisit this topic with newly unread posts it will go directly to the new ones .. I'm not sure but I never saw this feature in any other forum software ..

Archived