Allowed memory size

Since I've converted to IPB from VB I've been getting this error from time to tome

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 791 bytes) in /home/mysite/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/bbcode/core.php on line 856

How can I fix this?

Guest Century242

[quote name='chabbs.c' date='11 November 2009 - 09:03 AM' timestamp='1257958987' post='1878208']
Since I've converted to IPB from VB I've been getting this error from time to tome

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 791 bytes) in /home/mysite/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/bbcode/core.php on line 856

How can I fix this?

It appears that your server has the default PHP 5.x memory limit of 32 megs set. You can verify this by checking the PHP Info from the Support tab in the Admin area. You can change this by modifying the file classDb.php in the /ips_kernel folder.

Our system is set to 128 Megs, to handle attached image thumbnail creation. Consult the admin of your server before setting it that high. I suggest you jump another 16 megs using the following at the very beginning of the classDb.php file.

Upload the changed file to your server and verity the memory_limit value in the PHP Info.

<?php

ini_set('memory_limit', '48M');

/**

* Invision Power Services

* IP.Board v3.0.4

* Database Abstraction Layer

That's not the only place you can put that line, and it's probably not the best either. For example if that file gets updated by an upgrade/patch you lose that change.

A much better place is in conf_global.php, one of very few files that you can be confident will not be changed (except by the upgrade script itself) by an upgrade.

Do you have any mods/hooks installed that do stuff with bbcodes? So far I have not needed to change our board above that 32M limit. The only time I've got that error is when I have written bad code during my mod development, usually an infinite loop.

[quote name='Century242' date='11 November 2009 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1257961557' post='1878227']Our system is set to 128 Megs, to handle attached image thumbnail creation.

Out of interest C242, how big (filesize) are the images that need thumbnails. My mod is accepting .GIF, .PNG, .PCX files above 1.25MB and converting them to .PNG and .PNG thumbnails with no problems using 32MB.

Archived