Use existing forum database

globex

I currently have IPB 2.3 forum on a live site, and I was wondering if it would be possible to have another forum (version 3.0.1) use the database from the IPB 2.3 forum. Essentially so I have a mirror of my live forum running on a 3.0.1 forum which I can use for testing things.

[quote name='mmmecn' date='03 August 2009 - 04:24 AM' timestamp='1249287851' post='1837398']
yup you can do but not sure about license

Um, no, you cannot do this. A 3.0.1 site will not work with a 2.x database, it will only work with a database converted to 3.0.1.

[quote name='globex' date='03 August 2009 - 03:30 AM' timestamp='1249284629' post='1837378']
I currently have IPB 2.3 forum on a live site, and I was wondering if it would be possible to have another forum (version 3.0.1) use the database from the IPB 2.3 forum. Essentially so I have a mirror of my live forum running on a 3.0.1 forum which I can use for testing things.

Yes, you can do this.

Backup the database. Then restore the backup to a new database. Install IPB3 into a protected area (ie, can only be accessed via a password that onl you would know). Then upgrade using the backup and test things out.

If you're looking to do live testing, ie, as new things happen on 2.3, they are reflected on 3.0, then that's not possible. But using a copy of the 2.3 database should be sufficient enough for testing things out. Just make sure that it's inaccessible to anyone else except for you.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='03 August 2009 - 06:36 AM' timestamp='1249306566' post='1837489']If you're looking to do live testing, ie, as new things happen on 2.3, they are reflected on 3.0, then that's not possible.

That's what I was looking for. :( Alright.

Archived