Suggestions

Guest Aikar

Been a fan of IPB ever since the 1.3 days, and have had a license for nearly 2 years now and as always IPB pleases me. However there are a few things I would like to see to make IPB even better, and giving its users even more control over the software.

• RSS Exports

First off, in the RSS export it would be really nice to have an option to include information about the poster such as name and post date, and an option to link to the actual post in that topic instead.

In phpBB (Which I dispise so much) I had a custom RSS export that included this kind of information. It was handy as I announce new posts into my IRC channel, with links to the post and who made it, reply total etc. Now with IPB it does not give me that information

• Search Results

Currently when you search for a term on the forums, the results link you to the thread that contained the result. However, when returning a result of a very large thread (say 30+ pages), the result is nearly useless as you have no idea what page that result actually was on.

It would be nice if the search engine's result linked directly to the first post that matched the search term, along with a button on the page to "go to next result" for that current thread.

My users have complained about that after switching from phpBB, as it makes the search tool nearly useless on large threads.

• (Powered by Invision Power Board)

The additional text in the title's of every page is bothersome to many people. IPS allows us to remove this text, so why not just include it as part of the default skins itself or a toggleable option in the admin settings?

I do not like having to modify the source code, so an option to remove that text without doing so would be great.

• Member Listing

The member listing can be quite 'bloated' in some terms.

With the size of the boxes showing the info and etc, it takes up alot of room just to show a few members.

An option to put member listing in 'lite mode', that returns it to a basic name -> post count -> group -> email/pm/etc links like the old IPB with the name as a clickable 'button' like it currently is would be ideal, and save alot of room.

• Admin Permissions

This kind of change would likely be large and should be for 3.0, but seeing it before would be nice.
    Currently you can restrict administrators access rights in the ACP. however, new users are automatically added with full permissions.

I propose the admin permissions become the main administration control point of who has admin. Remove the whole 'Is admin' on a group, and make individual users be marked as 'System Admins' in their profile. Only System admins can access Admin privileges.

Individual people and groups can be given admin by giving them permissions in the section. Basically, take the current system, but enable it to be applied to a group also. Anyone added to the group would be given these admin permissions.

If your not a root admin (System Admin), you do not have admin access unless your name or group is on the admin privileges list.

This would give better control over assigning control to people, and the ability to give people admin access without having to change their groups.

Also, along with this new system, finer controls on access to things such as editing members would be ideal. I would like to give some people the ability to edit User titles and etc, but I do not want them changing the users passwords/emails/groups. Control on what exactly a person can edit on another user would be great.

• Latest News

I propose a new option to go along side the 'Latest News' configuration, that on new news for a visitor, it pops up a box with the message sort of like the PM box on my assistant, however be larger to be sure its read.

Many people lack the intelligence to consider checking a news forum to see if a topic has been posted about a current issue or such, and it wastes lots of database space with topics that were answered by the news forum.

So an option to make sure its shown very clear upon visiting the forum would be ideal.

• Jabber

Jabber(XMPP) is becoming a popular protocol now with the introduction of GTalk with Gmail. A new field on profiles for a Jabber contact address would be great.

• RSS Import New Post Notification

Currently when enabling RSS import to a forum, the new topics created by the RSS feed do not trigger Topic Notifications for people who have subscribed to a forum.

I import news from a games official website, but when a user subscribes to that forum to get email notifications of new posts, it does not send them.

I propose a change to send new topic notifications even on RSS import, as I cant see any reason for it not to and would be handy.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but hopefully some of these can be implemented to make IPB even more better, and give even more control to its users (which is why I love IPB!)

Thank you.

• RSS Import New Post Notification

Currently when enabling RSS import to a forum, the new topics created by the RSS feed do not trigger Topic Notifications for people who have subscribed to a forum.

I import news from a games official website, but when a user subscribes to that forum to get email notifications of new posts, it does not send them.

I propose a change to send new topic notifications even on RSS import, as I cant see any reason for it not to and would be handy

I can see why RSS importations wouldn't have e-mails sent, if someone has a RSS feed from another site that updates quite quickly/often, would you really want to get hundreds (lest more than like 20 - 80 :P ) of e-mails about the new topic about what ever the site posts? I probably wouldn't, and I wouldn't subscribe to the forum with the RSS feeds.

Though . . . there could be an option in the ACP/UCP about how many e-mails the user gets sent about RSS topics.

I can see why RSS importations wouldn't have e-mails sent, if someone has a RSS feed from another site that updates quite quickly/often, would you really want to get hundreds (lest more than like 20 - 80 :P ) of e-mails about the new topic about what ever the site posts? I probably wouldn't, and I wouldn't subscribe to the forum with the RSS feeds.

Though . . . there could be an option in the ACP/UCP about how many e-mails the user gets sent about RSS topics.

That's kinda the point. Right now you have NO Option to subscribe to rss imports.

Regardless of it being an RSS import or a standard forum, the user decides if they want to subscribe to that forum or not, and if its heavily flooded with topics they likely wouldnt.

But right now you have no option to get notifications of new importants. Its really no different than a normal forum itself, just the users dont have the option of being emailed on new topics.

In my particular case im talking of a feed that only gets new entries once a day or 2, so getting emailed when new news is posted is nice (For the online game Final Fantasy XI)

Archived