Licenses

Guest omeryamp

There is a difference between a lifetime license and perpetual license, that's what he was saying. The lifetime was discontinued about 4 years ago, and the perpetual was discontinued last week.

Currently there are only Standard, and Business licenses available. Also custom "Enterprise" licenses can be configured by submitting a ticket to sales!

basically. after you buy the new licenses after it expires. you only have to pay a small fee to keep support/upgrades its about 25$ every 6 months i think.

although. i think personally it would be great if they offered them separate.. like maybe 30$ a year for just the upgrades.... it would be an improvement. although you would pay more in the long run if you ended up needing support... you would pay less in the long run if you didn't need support as well :)

i know how you feel. some of this stuff is complex i.e. terms/contract and the licenses i barely understand them myself... im actually about to go read them again and try to understand it a bit more :unsure:

Lifetime Licenses
These are no longer available unless buying a dedicated server from IPS
Upgrades for life
Telephone support and ticket support for life

Perpetual Licenses
These are no longer available
Upgrades for life
Telephone support and ticket support for 1 year - $30 per year thereafter.

Enterprise Licenses
Contact Sales
Custom Price, upgrades, support depending on your needs

Business Licenses
$300
Upgrades, telephone support and ticket support (1 day response time) for 6 months - $50 per 6 months thereafter.

Standard Licenses
$149.99
Upgrades and ticket support (2 day response time) for 6 months - $25 per 6 months thereafter.

If you are purchasing IPB now, you'll probably want a standard license, unless you'll be needing lots of telephone support, in which case you'll want a business license, or you're a big company in which case you'll probably want an enterprise license.

Isn't it 149.99 for 1 year and thereafter 25 dollars per 6 months?

For one instance of a Standard License for $149.00, you get:

6 months support/upgrades

30 days phone support

2 business day ticket response

5 day major version upgrade turnaround

Minor version upgrade via easy upgrade pack

One active installation + one test installation

Optional 6 month renewal for $25

Source: http://community.ipslink.com/board/purchase.html

There is a difference between a lifetime license and perpetual license, that's what he was saying. The lifetime was discontinued about 4 years ago, and the perpetual was discontinued last week.

Currently there are only Standard, and Business licenses available. Also custom "Enterprise" licenses can be configured by submitting a ticket to sales!

4 years really?

Thats along time, its only been 2 at the most for the record :-)

I own a lifetime, check when I joined this forum, thats about the time I purchase my license.

I purchase mine on 09/27/04 then IPB 2.1.0 was released which introduce the Perpetual.

4 years really?

Thats along time, its only been 2 at the most for the record :-)

I own a lifetime, check when I joined this forum, thats about the time I purchase my license.

I purchase mine on 09/27/04 then IPB 2.1.0 was released which introduce the Perpetual.

You joined this board on 1-October 02 ;)

The Lifetime License was discontinued in 2005. I have no idea where your completely erroneous 4 years came from.

Well let's put it this way, I joined 31-May 05 and to the best of my knowledge lifetimes were gone at least 1 year since then...but I could be wrong...

You joined this board on 1-October 02 ;)

Well let's put it this way, I joined 31-May 05 and to the best of my knowledge lifetimes were gone at least 1 year since then...but I could be wrong...

You are indeed wrong on this count. My license (Lifetime) was purchased on 26 November 2004. It was just over a month after that (to my knowledge) that the lifetime was discontinued.

You are indeed wrong on this count. My license (Lifetime) was purchased on 26 November 2004. It was just over a month after that (to my knowledge) that the lifetime was discontinued.

Which goes along with what I thought happen.

You have to remember IPB was free till IPB 2.0.0 was released sometime before before May 5th 2004, since I waited for the sale to happen. I forget what brought on the change that got rid of the Lifetime license to be honest.

So thats why I was a member since 2002, although I will be honest, it wasn't till I paid for the product did I watch the forum.

You can still purchase lifetime licenses either by the enterprise license options, or by purchasing a dedicated server, even if you then cancel it (minimum contract for a dedicated server is 1 month, the lowest cost for a server is $229 + $99 setup fee = $328.00 for a lifetime license a dedicated server for a month)

You can still purchase lifetime licenses either by the enterprise license options, or by purchasing a dedicated server, even if you then cancel it (minimum contract for a dedicated server is 1 month, the lowest cost for a server is $229 + $99 setup fee = $328.00 for a lifetime license a dedicated server for a month)

The Standard license, is a lifetime also, why spend the extra money on a enterprise level license?

When you get a dedicated server, is the lifetime license free or does that only give you right right to purchase one?

Also once you have the dedicated server, and the license...when you cancel the server you can keep the license?

I am basing this purely off what I see on the IPS website:

Benefits of IPS Dedicated Servers
  • A full and complete licensed copy of IP.Board at no additional cost ($299.00 value)
  • Option to add IP.Gallery and IP.Blog at a reduced cost
  • Free transfer of your current web site and data to our dedicated servers ($60.00 value)
  • Current IPS Hosting customers receive $49.00 off setup fees
  • Current lifetime IP.Board license holders receive $49 off setup fees
  • A $150.00 rebate off a custom skin design quote for IP.Board
  • Future products from IPS will be available at free reduced cost as they are released
  • Huge savings and private branding reseller options for customers who have two or more dedicated servers
So to answer your questions, the license is free, and I assume you can keep it if you cancel

The Standard license, is a lifetime also, why spend the extra money on a enterprise level license?

By lifetime, I mean the old lifetime license that they stopped selling several years ago

With standard, upgrades ans support costs $25 per month, with lifetime, upgrades and support is free forever

Also enterprise licenses have even more benefits: http://community.ipslink.com/enterprise.html

Though purchasing an enterprise license is prooving difficult for me I have a ticket about it which Debbie marked as 'FAO: Lindy' about a week ago - still waiting :)

I am basing this purely off what I see on the IPS website:

Benefits of IPS Dedicated Servers
  • A full and complete licensed copy of IP.Board at no additional cost ($299.00 value)
  • Option to add IP.Gallery and IP.Blog at a reduced cost
  • Free transfer of your current web site and data to our dedicated servers ($60.00 value)
  • Current IPS Hosting customers receive $49.00 off setup fees
  • Current lifetime IP.Board license holders receive $49 off setup fees
  • A $150.00 rebate off a custom skin design quote for IP.Board
  • Future products from IPS will be available at free reduced cost as they are released
  • Huge savings and private branding reseller options for customers who have two or more dedicated servers

So to answer your questions, the license is free, and I assume you can keep it if you cancel

By lifetime, I mean the old lifetime license that they stopped selling several years ago

With standard, upgrades ans support costs $25 per month, with lifetime, upgrades and support is free forever

Also enterprise licenses have even more benefits:

http://community.ipslink.com/enterprise.html

Though purchasing an enterprise license is prooving difficult for me I have a ticket about it which Debbie marked as 'FAO: Lindy' about a week ago - still waiting :)

I perhaps shouldn't have said "lifetime" I should have said the neither/all/Standard IPB license(s) do not "expire" only the support and upgrades period can expire.

Your suggestion has some good points, but again its also a very expensive suggestion considering the license doesn't expire. This is one key different IPS's license have that their competitors do not do. Which is when you buy a license( any license ), you can continue to use the product after your support period ends. The competitors, one in particular only offers this for their "owned" license, which in many ways was what our perpetual license was.

Like somebody said, the license you get as a hosting customer is connected to the hosting account. I don't know if its encoded, but I know the standard hosting is in fact encoded. So that might not good for a website, that wants to modify how the board works, but overall if you have the money your suggestion is a valid point. You do get a very good value, and if you need that level of hosting, the free license is a very good value.

I should add, that information seems slightly out of date, due to the "cost" of said IPB license.

Archived