Easy Install Button

Guest Canadian Hotdogman

Truth right there folks.

And don't some configs of Apache/PHP refuse to run PHP scripts unless they are World-Unwriteable? As a result, under varieties of circumstances that this is simply IMPOSSIBLE.

There are many ways to make it work, just because it's not recommended, or advisable does not make it impossible.

Another piece of software I used (called lpanel or something) to use had a feature similar to this. Basically you would log into the member centre on the website and enter your ftp info and it would install it for you. I'm not sure if it upgraded it for you or not, I do not remember. Of course the difference of this and IPB is that it was zend encoded so there was no need to worry about file edits.

I also have a board running SMF which has this 'easy install button'. Yesterday I tried it for the first time because of a security update. I logged in my CP, clicked the update, entered my ftp info and it installed itself. Couldn't be easier.

I don't know if this will work for large updates, but for the small security ones its great.

Archived