Easy Install Button

Guest Canadian Hotdogman

Why can't there be an easy install button? It may sound a little bit ahead of it's time or unethical, but I think it would make things so much easier.

Why can't there be a button in the ACP that if you press it it just upgrades your board the the newest available upgrade. I mean if you provide FTP access and everything, I see no reason why it can't just get the files and install them itself. I mean we have people smart enough to code something like that I'm sure.

If it's a stupid idea then I'm sorry but it just occured to me and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't exist. Obviously it wouldn't be the only option for upgrading, but for people with completely default boards with no skins or mods who aren't that smart with things maybe it would make it a hell of a lot easier for some people.

Actually this sort of idea has been discussed many times here. However, it isn't feasible at this time.

Think about it.

Many, if not most, IPB users modify their forum in some way, either with a new skin, some code modifications, etc. Not the mention the fact that the software in run in a variety of different environments, some with more restrictions than others (phpsuexec, safe mode, Windows, Linux, etc.)

If IPB upgraded itself It would have to be able to take all of that into account and do its best not to break itself in the process.

At this point it really requires a human touch.

This could easily work! Itd be just like the update for your OS or other apps, they just update themselves.
PHP is more than capable of this sort of thing and a system could be easily developed. And as for people changing IPB! you not meant to really start messing with ipb, any stuff should be done using the component system.

but having said all that, people tweak their OS's such as on windows, i used to change system files to allow the use of other MSSTYLES. yet whenever i updated my windows with windows update, itd didnt start breaking up my os. it updated what needed updating. and that was that.

i think this is a brilliant idea. how much of a pain in the arse is it, to lock your board. delete all the files, except the config, the re-upload, and then run the update, which if it gets an issue such as 404, it breaks, and the whole lot needs re-doing from scratch.

It'd be too much work for a pretty pointless feature that not many people would use. :(

If people can't make it through an installation of IPB then they shouldn't even be managing an online forum.

so what your saying is: unless you can install IPB, you shouldnt be involved in a forum!!!

thats like saying either learn C++ or dont use a computer!

it should be made as easy as possible and as quick as possible, it takes like 20 mins to update IPB, something like this would make it down to like 5mins

You should try reading what you type before posting it.

If a person doesn't understand css html etc. etc. then they shouldn't own a website.

If a person is incapable of installing or upgrading a message board, they shouldn't own a message board.

These days you get ten year old noobs making forums, what happens if something goes wrong? They are like "Oh noes lol I gotz teh error...backz to default install lolz". What happens if they can't re-install?

Point proven I think. (Or do you wish to carry this on?) :P

Your pretty dumb! and i'll be brief about this cause i dont want this 1. locking, or 2. turning into a flame.

Anybody in the world should be able to have a website whether they understand it or not! Do you know how email works??? Do you understand PHP, do you even know anything about it, but does it matter no! Theirs loads of sites like bands, etc and their members dont understand it, plus theirs loads of stuff like Dreamweaver, iWeb, etc that do this for you, cause you dont need to know all the code, why bother unless your a web programmer, which you wont care about ,cause your in a band, etc.

and whats this: "Point proven I think. (Or do you wish to carry this on?)"

You have already decided your right? When in fact you've no idea yourself about code etc.

Your pretty dumb! and i'll be brief about this cause i dont want this 1. locking, or 2. turning into a flame.

If you didn't want this to turn into a flame war then why exactly did you call me dumb?

Anybody in the world should be able to have a website whether they understand it or not! Do you know how email works??? Do you understand PHP, do you even know anything about it, but does it matter no! Theirs loads of sites like bands, etc and their members dont understand it, plus theirs loads of stuff like Dreamweaver, iWeb, etc that do this for you, cause you dont need to know all the code, why bother unless your a web programmer, which you wont care about ,cause your in a band, etc.

I don't know some things, but I know others - and I certainly know enough to install, maintain and upgrade an IPB installation.

and whats this: "Point proven I think. (Or do you wish to carry this on?)"

You have already decided your right? When in fact you've no idea yourself about code etc.

Do you know me? Have we met? I'm sure we haven't - which of course would mean that you don't know **** about me. So saying that I have no idea myself about code is a pretty stupid thing to say. And of course I have decided that I am right. It's my opinion (which I am entitled too) and I'll stick to it. If I didn't think I was right and support my opinion then I'd be pretty stupid now wouldn't I?

True - Anyone can have a website, there are no laws stating that they can not etc. But in all reality - if someone is incapable of managing something, then they shouldn't do it.

If a 16 year old girl is incapable of looking after a child, she shouldn't get pregnant - catch my drift?

And don't call me stupid, if I was stupid would I be at College? Would I be about to go onto University for 3 years?

In the end IPS will decide wether to implement such a 'feature' and I am quite certain that they will choose not to do this, but we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?

Of course if they do implement this, I just won't use it - like you said. No harm done...I was just pointing out that it's absolutely pointless - to such an extent that they most probably won't include it.

IPS feel free to prove me wrong, I'm just saying.

And as for people changing IPB! you not meant to really start messing with ipb, any stuff should be done using the component system.

One of the biggest draws of IPB is the ability to modify to work how you need it. You're saying that we aren't supposed to modify the software? Great logic.

Adding your FTP info into the board setup is a very bad idea. If you get hacked they can then not only destroy your database with your SQL Toolbox, now they can delete all of your forum's files too. The security risk involved in this makes it not something IPS would probably ever consider.

Adding your FTP info into the board setup is a very bad idea. If you get hacked they can then not only destroy your database with your SQL Toolbox, now they can delete all of your forum's files too. The security risk involved in this makes it not something IPS would probably ever consider.

I hate to think what will happen when nexus goes public, and people start finding exploits - there goes most of the customers forums who store their FTP details and ACP details in the IPS system.

The easy install button could be something accessed via the IPS site, since the data is already there, not that I'm suggesting this method is a good idea either, but it is an alternative.

so what your saying is: unless you can install IPB, you shouldnt be involved in a forum!!!

thats like saying either learn C++ or dont use a computer!

it should be made as easy as possible and as quick as possible, it takes like 20 mins to update IPB, something like this would make it down to like 5mins

Well it is really easy....

It's like saying don't drive a car if you can't see over the dash ;) you should know how to do basic things on your forums if you're going to admin them. Really in my opinion, it makes it so not ANY old dumbass can run a forum... sadly this isn't always the case, but it sometimes is. :P

I installed IPB 2.2 RC1 in a couple minutes (minus re-caching). And all I mainly needed to do was hammer the "next" button. :P

One of the biggest draws of IPB is the ability to modify to work how you need it. You're saying that we aren't supposed to modify the software? Great logic.

I do think eventually we should not have to use file edits. In SOME way.

I just can't see this as something that would work well for a beginner or intermediate level person. There are methods of this that you can do should you have command line access on your server, but this is probably something left for advanced users.

Even if a script was developed to make this diff process "friendly", you'd still be required to chmod all of your files writable. When PHP is running as a CGI, this might be acceptable (keeping chmod 600), but in most server configs it is not and the user would have to allow global writability (chmod 666). Then, if using diff, the ability to execute command line processes, parse them, etc. Most hosts just won't allow such scripts.

I hate to think what will happen when nexus goes public, and people start finding exploits - there goes most of the customers forums who store their FTP details and ACP details in the IPS system.

The easy install button could be something accessed via the IPS site, since the data is already there, not that I'm suggesting this method is a good idea either, but it is an alternative.

Those are good points. :thumbsup:

REALLY good points.

I just can't see this as something that would work well for a beginner or intermediate level person. There are methods of this that you can do should you have command line access on your server, but this is probably something left for advanced users.

Even if a script was developed to make this diff process "friendly", you'd still be required to chmod all of your files writable. When PHP is running as a CGI, this might be acceptable (keeping chmod 600), but in most server configs it is not and the user would have to allow global writability (chmod 666). Then, if using diff, the ability to execute command line processes, parse them, etc. Most hosts just won't allow such scripts.

Truth right there folks.

And don't some configs of Apache/PHP refuse to run PHP scripts unless they are World-Unwriteable? As a result, under varieties of circumstances that this is simply IMPOSSIBLE.

Archived