New Med-Fi version?

Guest Xenboy

I would really like to see a new view of the forums implemented. Right now we have IPB in full color with all the bells and whistles OR a bare-bones, very limited functionality Lo-Fi version. I'd like to have a graphic-rich version of the forum that doesn't rely on Javascript, DHTML or AJAX or other dynamic components without sacrificing important functionality. As it stands now (and IPB 2.2 appears to be getting worse in this regard), if you have javascript turned off in your browser you cannot access certain critical features. For example, if I want to log in as administrator and edit a member's profile. I can't do that, because the item that creates the drop-down menu doesn't work. Also, certain in-forum moderation tasks won't work and the forum options selector won't work either. It would be really nice to have a view of the forum (and administrative interface) that doesn't rely on javascript or AJAX to manage features. I realize that some features would need to be disabled or restricted since it isn't possible to use them without javascript or other dynamic components, but basic features and functionality should just work. An example of things "just working" is in IPB 2.1.x, if you click the edit button and javascript is disabled, you are taken to the full edit screen.

I agree. Besides, there's the "Top"-Button uner your member information, but it's done with Javascript. This could be done with a <body id="top"> and #top references.
But the problem with the latter is probably the editable Board Wrapper which includes the <body> tag, isn't it?

An example of things "just working" is in IPB 2.1.x, if you click the edit button and javascript is disabled, you are taken to the full edit screen.

Yes, that was a good solution. And that's why I never complainted about all those JavaScript features. I think JavaScript should never provide features that cannot be accessed otherwise. JavaScript should only make them more convenient to use.

It's nice to see that people are interested in having things done right, kind of suprised.

Can it be coded to degrade gracefully instead of making another lo-fi like page?

Well, wouldn't that be pretty much the same thing? For example, if JavaScript is

Actually, that's not a bad idea... have the forum autodetect if a user has javascript disabled and switch automatically, unless the user specifically sets a preference to stay with the standard interface. This is how Gmail does it.

Still, I'd be perfectly happy with having to click a "med-fi" (or whatever it would be called) link to switch.

I'm gonna -1 on this one. Not because it's a bad idea, but because it's yet another huge chunk of code to maintain. I'd also be +1 on removing lo-fi.

Now, having said that, I do see the use of a Low-Fi and Med-Fi skin option.

Archived