AJAX Board Statistics

Guest Brandon C

Im really getting bugged by the profile page. It's a little buggy, things refresh without the fully style then a second later style pops into place. Editing a personal statement causes an ajax refresh and in the refresh you dont see your webpage any more - I thought there was a bug causing it to not display your website if you have a profile until I refreshed the page manually.

But it's beta so its understandable :)

Realistically, 98% of end users have javascript capabilities - and dynamic websites that don't solely rely on the backend require javascript to handle some of the flashier things on the front end. I know all about # in href's - that doesn't mean there's always an easy and worthwhile way around using them though. I've actually yet to come across someone who had problems with the links to be honest. If you aren't using a browser that supports javascript, I'd say it's about time to upgrade.

There is always an easy and worthwhile way around using them - stick a link in there as a fall back, a link to a version of the content that doesnt require javascript to open it.

There's nothing wrong persay, but there are slightly nicer ways of doing some things.

Unobtrusive javascript would be nice... Rather than using href="#" tags everywhere

If you're not familiar with something, don't shoot your mouth off. If you've read the book, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Oh, I'm possibly more familiar with it than you. But "the developers need to buy a book on JS and read it" is a blanket statement that tells them nothing about what they should fix. I grow weary of these people that make stupid blanket statements that do not assist in the slightest in improving the way something is done, then attack anyone who calls them out on it. You know what we call that? Well, apart from some things which the word filter would block out, it's also called "immature". You started off your reply with good, useful information. Unobstrusive Javascript, ditch the freaking horrible 'href="#"' tags everywhere (people still do that?!? Come on folks, on a link that MUST have javascript to do what it's meant to, 'href' should be set to a page explaining that Javascript is required!) But then, you degrade into pointless insults. Not cool.

Im really getting bugged by the profile page. It's a little buggy, things refresh without the fully style then a second later style pops into place. Editing a personal statement causes an ajax refresh and in the refresh you dont see your webpage any more - I thought there was a bug causing it to not display your website if you have a profile until I refreshed the page manually.

But it's beta so its understandable :)

Actually, that's a browser thing, not an IPB thing. Dave Hyatt posted about this particular problem on the Safari blog recently: http://webkit.org/blog/?p=66

But yeah, AJAX board stats really seems like AJAX for the sake of AJAX. It's something that's at the very bottom of the page, isn't viewed by everyone, and would put undue load on the server.

Actually, if there was one thing I'd want AJAX'd like that, it would be something similar to Digg Spy: http://digg.com/spy It'd be like the New Posts list, but in real time. I think that'd be pretty hot.

I apologize about that, I was having a bad day and took it out on the first thing I saw.

No problem, and for the most part I agree with your points... href="#" is bad. Last I saw, the recommendation was that JS links should always have their href set to a page explaining that Javascript is required - which for these particular cases would be a good thing (although to be honest, since a lot of IPB doesn't really NEED Javascript it should just provide a non-JS method to achieve the same thing). Do not, I repeat, do NOT follow Gmail's path, where they used to use <span> tags with an onclick handler. This is NOT the way to do it!

Actually, if there was one thing I'd want AJAX'd like that, it would be something similar to Digg Spy:

http://digg.com/spy

It'd be like the New Posts list, but in real time. I think that'd be pretty hot.

I've actually been meaning to suggest something like that for ages. I keep promising i'll make a mod for it and forgetting. :/

Definitely agree!

Archived