You have back up - no restore!

Guest BernardBlack

......IPB likes to add functions that are flashy and seldom used.......

Such as? :rolleyes:

I believe the reason for no restore option is because unless you have a tiny database you simply aren't going to be able to restore it from a web based interface because it will time out, you really need to use SSH.

If there were a restore option I can also imagine people running it and then complaining when their database is overwritten, even if they are warned ;)

Such as? :rolleyes:

I believe the reason for no restore option is because unless you have a tiny database you simply aren't going to be able to restore it from a web based interface because it will time out, you really need to use SSH.

If there were a restore option I can also imagine people running it and then complaining when their database is overwritten, even if they are warned ;)

As I recall, there is no timeout issue from cPanel for a full backup and maybe even a SQL backup. If people are going to complain about the restore results, they are also going to complain that their data base is trashed and they need to restore it. I think we remain unconvinced. ;)

cPanel only works on Unix based systems so it sets a crontab to run a perl script, thereby running the restore as if it is a normal system process.

IPB is universal and only has a normal PHP execution cycle in which to run the restore which typically has a memory limit of 8MB and a timeout of 30 seconds.

Right, which would mean that even if they added a restore function, it'll be pointless because as you said since IPB runs as a normal php process and many hosts get picky and all pissed when you start using alot of resources, the restrictions allow for only a small site and then it wouldn't make sense to add a restore function.

And truth be told, it's so easy to do it anyway in cpanel, but then again I've been doing this for some time.

If you don't know how to restore/backup your databases without IPB...then...I don't know what to say....enough IPB handholding.

@ZeRoRaVeN

If you don't know how to restore/backup your databases without IPB...then...I don't know what to say....enough IPB handholding.

hmm... enough handholding? LOL... lord knows we didn't PAY for IPB to have them sit by and laugh when someone doesn't know how to do a restore... If this malarchy about IPB timing out if performing a restore... well then, they could actually have a simple place in the Cpanel that explains in plain english HOW to restore it... I bet if I had one dollar for every post that has been made about restoring IPB, I would be as rich as IPB is getting off it's customers.

Not everyone understands SQL and I sure don't want to learn it! That's WHY I bought it... (or at least why I was swayed to purchase it from their adversting how easy it is to use and 24/7 support for a year... NOT!

And what's funny... after 3 hours of searching.. I have YET to figure out how to restore my database. someday, since this is kind of a MAJOR part of having a forum IPB will realize this and actually do something about it...

not that I need it with shell access, but how about a restore option from a path?

The member could upload the backup to a folder, and IPB could restore it from that folder already on the server. It could have page refreshes just like the upgrades to... processing 50...100...150, etc.

not that I need it with shell access, but how about a restore option from a path?

The member could upload the backup to a folder, and IPB could restore it from that folder already on the server. It could have page refreshes just like the upgrades to... processing 50...100...150, etc.

Sounds "doable" to me. :thumbsup: But I'm sure that those who are dead set against easy restores by the unwashed masses will have other ideas. :lol:

@ZeRoRaVeN

hmm... enough handholding? LOL... lord knows we didn't PAY for IPB to have them sit by and laugh when someone doesn't know how to do a restore... If this malarchy about IPB timing out if performing a restore... well then, they could actually have a simple place in the Cpanel that explains in plain english HOW to restore it... I bet if I had one dollar for every post that has been made about restoring IPB, I would be as rich as IPB is getting off it's customers.

Not everyone understands SQL and I sure don't want to learn it! That's WHY I bought it... (or at least why I was swayed to purchase it from their adversting how easy it is to use and 24/7 support for a year... NOT!

And what's funny... after 3 hours of searching.. I have YET to figure out how to restore my database. someday, since this is kind of a MAJOR part of having a forum IPB will realize this and actually do something about it...

You don't need to know it! You're not going to learn the language. It's incredible easy! It won't take more than 5 mins!

CPANEL > PHPMYADMIN > Select Database > SQL > Browse File > UPLOAD (make sure it's set to auto detect)

SIMPLE! How hard is it? Unless you don't have cpanel.

I can't believe you people run forums. I'm not even a customer of IPS (going to be, my order hasn't been paid yet) as I run the IPB 2 trial, and I know how to do it. Enough. It's time most of you learned at least some basic forum upkeep. IPS shouldn't have to keep on developing features just so that those people who can't even restore a database can do it. and then what? restore user complains? blah blah blah.

Please. It's not hard.

If you were doing somebody complex, but this is stupid, why should IPS

It's not as simple to make as you think... <_<

Archived