RSS import as single topic AND "select all" for moderator

Guest squidfish

Hi there,

I have 2 suggestions for the next version:

1) RSS Import as single topic
What I am finding with my imported feeds is that the text is very brief...perhaps 3 lines of text and a link. It is very slow opening each topic and reading them one by one! Honestly who can be bothered when there is so little text? So my idea is that you be given the option to import each RSS feed as a single topic....and, if you go for this option, then each new feed entry is simply appended to the exisiting topic as if it was a "reply".

There are different ways this can be done. A extra cool way (which would be more work of course for Matt) would be so that the title of the topic dynamically updates each time a new entry is made in the feed topic...

..so for example, today the topic title might be "Yahoofeed: Google offers to buys Yahoo for $5"
and tomorrow it might read "Yahoofeed: Yahoo refuses Google buyout offer of $5"

This "dynamic title" aspect might not appeal to everyone but its just an idea!

2) "Select All"
This is related to the above. Using the current RSS system I have got lots of topics with just 3 lines of text. I am in the process of merging all of these topics together MANUALLY!!! To do this it is taking me ages because i have to click on every imported message in the tick box on the right...

topic_unselected.gif

and then click on "Merge Topics" using the drop down menu at the bottom of the page. I would love for there to be a "Select All" button so I can bulk moderate everything on the screen.

This might be useful for more than just my situation. For example, if you want to delete all the topics currently displayed then you could simply choose "select all" and they would ALL BE GONE....of course this might be a dangerous function and one slip might see lots of useful topics deleted accidentally! Perhaps it could be disabled by default so it could only be used by people who really need it (like me).

Cheers, squid :)

Archived