Poll instead of +1 or -1

Guest //Nathan

+1 and -1 have always kind of weirded me out. First of all, you have to go through the topic and count to get any kind of running total. Second, I don't think IPS/Matt are going to decide whether or not to implement your suggestion on the basis of +1s and -1s.

But in case I'm wrong on the second point... Wouldn't it make more sense to just use a poll?

If you like this idea, don't post +1. Vote "I like this idea" and, if you feel the need to, explain in a reply.

If you don't like this idea, don't post -1. Vote "I do not like this idea" and, if you feel the need, explain in your reply.

I thought of this *after* posting my last suggestion. :-"

Unless the poll has huge participation, I can't see that it matters which way we do it. Will they count the +1 and -1s? No. Will they make a record of the polls and responses? I don't think so. Remember, we're a fraction of the tens of thousands of customers worldwide, so our polls and opinions aren't the be all, end all of client surveys.

I'm sure that management notices our opinions and takes them into consideration with the rest of the world, but more in a sense of which way the tide is going rather than exact numbers.

When someone says +1 it's a quick way of saying "I agree!" or "Me too!". The less common -1 means the exact opposite.

Actually, the best way would be to turn on topic ratings for this forum, and allow members to change their rating (should the topic develop to change their mind). Then a bored IPB developer could just browse the top-rated suggestions, should he or she encounter developers block. :P

Oh yeah... this topic isn't entirely serious. ;)

I'm sure reasoning and explanations are much more influential than numbers anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I think explaining your response is still a great idea and should be done so the readers can see why people voted the way they did. I think you should still indicate your +1 or -1 w/ explanation, but i think a poll should also be added so people can get a quick sense of the overall consensus by just looking at the vote...then drilling down to the reasoning if additional information is desired.

Archived