RSS Feed - Forbidden (403)

Ariel S
Go to solution Solved by Marc,

Hi,

When I access to the RSS through the website, I see there is a parameter "key" with a guid. That guid is updated each some days.

I'm trying to do a webrequest from my code to get the RSS XML without passing that "key" parameter. I'm getting a Forbidden (403) error. I'm setting the admin credentials in the code.

This is my source code:

HttpWebRequest request = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create("https://social.vcoins.com/rss/4-this-week-in-history-vcoins-community.xml");
request.UserAgent = "My User Agent";
request.Credentials = new NetworkCredential("xxxxxxxxxxx", "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx");
document.Load(request.GetResponse().GetResponseStream());

I would approciate your help!

Thanks!

Ariel

Thanks Marc for your answer.

I just changed the feed to public. I don't want it public.

The key is not the same always. I see it was updated this week automatically.

I don't know if I'm doing something in the incorrect way.

Ariel

How can I get the key via API? Is it correct that it is updated every week?

RSS does not have basic auth, so you cant use what you are trying to use there.  You cannot access the key via the admin CP, you would key it from selecting the feed.

If credentials change, then yes the key would change. So if you changed your password it would indeed change.

What exactly is it you are trying to do here? You can get to most information from the REST API, and would then use a key for this purpose

The key changes if anything related to authentication changes. So password, displayname, emails. 

Again however, if you let us know what it is you are trying to achieve, we may be able to point you in a better direction. Getting data this way would be unusual

What I was trying to do is to get the feed XML (https://social.vcoins.com/rss/4-this-week-in-history-vcoins-community.xml/?member_id=1&key=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) through my source code. I was passing the incorrect key because I changed the member password some days ago.

Now, I know that if I don't change anything from the admin member, the key should not be changed and I should not have problems to get the feed XML

Ariel