Set attachment limits by app, user group or file type

Meddysong

On my site I use the Downloads app to upload files which may be relatively large. These include MP3 files of conversations for language learners, scans of old magazines and so on. In order to be able to upload these, I've set a fairly generous upload_max_filesize and post_max_size.

Unfortunately for me, that's resulted in users posting images into Forum and Calendar posts which are far larger than they need to be. I understand that I could start users off in member groups with maximum storage limitations imposed or attempt to be very hands-on with messaging people concerned (/removing their attachments and replacing them with appropriate ones) but none of this is ideal.

What would be better would be something along the lines of one of the following:

• An attachment to Downloads can be X mB but in Forums is Y mB
  • Users in group 1 can upload attachments up to X mB but group 2 can only do Y mB.
  • Filetype .pdf can be uploaded up to X mB, .mp3 up to Y mB, and all other files Z mB.

Is there scope for introducing something along these lines in a future version rather than the one-size-fits-all approach?

Archived