Mobile pagination in the last version (or two)

Ryan Williams

Hey guys,

I just caught up with the last two versions of the suite and noticed that the pagination has been changed for mobile. I think that it's much better in general, however one oddity is that beneath the thread titles there is just one wide page shortcut. In the previous versions this pagination showed up as a series of the last several pages, just like in the tablet and desktop breakpoints.

This seems like a strange choice as no functionality or usability has been gained from this, but some has been lost. Is this definitely the way it's meant to be, or is it a bug?

I've attached the pagination I'm referring to for clarity.

ips-pagination.png

I noticed this as well. I posted it as a bug as I thought it was missing what used to be there.

The topic view navigation was improved by leaps and bounds (yes!), but the forum view, not sure what happened there. I thought it was a bug but maybe not.

The topic will have its own pagination when viewed. That button is to easily jump to the last page if yourr not interested in starting from the beginning.

I understand that, my point is that in the earlier versions of IPS Suite 4.0 more pages were shown here — which was more useful.

I've attached an example of how it used to look.

image.jpg

Aesthetically it just looked better as well, I know function before form, but I don't think that is the case here, imo.

(1) may be redundant since you can click the title for first page but this looks like a proper pagination, and I like when things are super obvious.

Looks like what you'd expect from a multi-page pagination.

Definitely not a space issue, the one number in the middle of the bar takes up even more space horizontally. You also may not know that is the last page w/o sequential pagination.

Just my thoughts. The topic view nav is awesome though. 

Aesthetically it just looks weird now, but it's also potentially worse from a usability perspective too. Think about it, what does some random number in a button mean to a user? It should say 'last page' or something if that's all that will be shown.

It was OK before because the series of numbers provided a visual cue that it was indeed a pagination. As it is, unless a user already knows what it is then it could be anything — a view count, an ID, a reply count. It's not good UX.

Exactly. That's what I was saying. You knew what it was immediately.

On the full site they still do it the old way. It takes up the same amount of space, even less since it is left justified on mobile the old way, so it couldn't have been a space issue. And if a function issue, why is it still the old way on the full site?

Maybe it is a bug. That looks like one grey button without proper width properties. Full site is still:

ips_pagination.thumb.png.1997fcfdb0f0746

Archived