Saving IP-Addresses: Option to disable it!

IPBSupport.de

I notice that no one of you come from Germany and have a idea of the German situation with the privacy policy.

Absolutely not! But we can handle it easily: If I get problems with a lawyer, I am sending this to you - then you will see the problem(s) in germany...

Yeah, good luck with that, bud. Even if you did ever get police on your case, you can't just direct them to the software vendor.

And believe me, i'm not happy with the situation in Germany!!! :dry:

And answers from lawyers i've given up already at starting this topic.

Also its not so easy to get the permission to save members IP adresses during the registration, because also IP adresses from guest saved, so you must get the permission to save a IP adress BEFORE a user can access the community.

No, it doesn't. An IP is only saved by IP.Board if you register or post, so you might want to check your statements. Although, since Apache is logging IP addresses, you'd best turn off your web server now before the authorities bash down your door for the heinous crime of leaving httpd logging enabled.

But its okay, you (from US/UK) have your own view about that (and I would hope it was so easy in germany) and so we must hope no member ever will make trouble about that.

Oh, quit being melodramatic. No issue exists here.

I don't believe the Dutch and German laws are so different. In the Netherlands the law is stated like this: you may store IP-addresses of visitors to prevent abuse or vandalism, but you may not publish them (or give them to third parties, like the article above stated). Besides, I believe you have to tell your users you store these addresses and other personal data when they register to your site. If you do that, I personally wouldn't worry about it. ;)

Archived