Group PM / Mass PM

Been_Told

I would really like to be able to mass-PM people and be able to filter that according to user group.
It's better than mass-e-mailing them (and most of them get a PM notification anyway) as I've made the experience that members tend to read PMs more than e-mails that they receive from the forum.

I'm a switch-over from vBulletin and we had an addon/plugin that would do that, so I miss that function.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh id like this option aswell, at the moment i just cant be bothered to use the pm system, its just too time consuming

We recently moved over from a PHPBB3 forum and the pm system was our main way of communicating important messages, as we find they are read more than announcements

The only downside to that mod by DawPi that i found was that its only available in the ACP - yet for my forums id like for the moderators to be able to have access to it, or group leaders, but i dont want to have to give them access to the ACP to do so

Yeh id like this option aswell, at the moment i just cant be bothered to use the pm system, its just too time consuming

We recently moved over from a PHPBB3 forum and the pm system was our main way of communicating important messages, as we find they are read more than announcements

The only downside to that mod by DawPi that i found was that its only available in the ACP - yet for my forums id like for the moderators to be able to have access to it, or group leaders, but i dont want to have to give them access to the ACP to do so

You can block everything but this Mod from them...
Like I allow my mods to ban members and suspend from admin PC but have no other control

I think the problem with building this in is that you would probably need some way to delete such PM's after a set period of time, otherwise I can see the database sizes ballooning as some people will send out weekly PM's.

However I agree it is a much more effective way of communicating with members, as not only do they get the PM, most will have the PM's sent t their email anyway.

If im not mistaken there is an inactivity mod which deletes pm's, havent used that part of it myself, as i have no need too, but it seems to be one of the options of it to delete inactive messages after a set ammount of time

I think the problem with building this in is that you would probably need some way to delete such PM's after a set period of time, otherwise I can see the database sizes ballooning as some people will send out weekly PM's.

However I agree it is a much more effective way of communicating with members, as not only do they get the PM, most will have the PM's sent t their email anyway.

Unless there's a way for Staff to override settings where users have turned off their PMs, this pretty much is a useless way of sending out important information.

Unless there's a way for Staff to override settings where users have turned off their PMs, this pretty much is a useless way of sending out important information.

But then how many users have out of date emails - I would suggest that far more have out of date emails than turned off PM's.

Mod doesnt work correctly in 3.1 All formatting is screwed up.

Built in would in my opinion be a logical thing to do? I mean, we've already had for ages Mass email...

drat - oh well.....

It's an age old problem and one of the reason I rarely, if ever, do mass mailings or PMs.

not sure how to respond to that, given that I have no idea how old you are LOL

I guess it is one of communication and how you chose to do it and the size of your site.

Heh.. Let's just say I'm on the higher side of the half century mark. ;)

It would be nice to have some type of ability to check email addresses to ensure they're still valid. Not sure how you'd really go about doing that without crippling your site. I suppose one could write a routine that pulls each email address and checks with a simple HELO, but even that may not work in all cases.

I've gone through the blacklist removal routine, and it's not fun.

Archived