Having a big clear out!

JayX

I'm sure a lot of people are in the same position as I am, I've been running IPB from 1.3 or so and moved my install around a multitude of servers, upgrading whilst I go. The site works perfectly fine, but there's a lot of.. well, crap in the database and ACP that should be cleared out.

Anyone got some good tips on a good way to do an RC1 install that gets rid of all the excess files and database edits that mods and tools throughout the years have put on the system?

Cheers

I had a mod for IP.Board 2.2/2.3 that did this that will be updated for IP.Board 3.0 eventually. Until that happens, the extra junk in the database is, for the most part, not really a huge issue. If there's nothing in the source files that calls on that extra data, then all it's doing is sitting there unused. Yes, it takes up a little extra room, but that's not the end of the world.

Most files that are no longer present in the default IP.Board 3.0 structure are safe to remove once you upgrade, just be sure to back them up just in case.

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. I'm hoping that RC1 ACP will be laid out differently and won't copy across the dead entries in the config panels, some of the stuff in 2.x I haven't had active in years!

Archived