IP reuse report

Guest softwarenerd

Right now the system allows one to report on a particular IP. The forum we run has a lot of political and philosophical debate, so we often have people who change IDs and come back with a new persona. Often they don't know enough to come back with a different IP. I'd like to see a feature that does not require Admins to be so proactive.

I'd like to see an ACP option that produces an "IP-reuse Report". The Admin will specify a range of dates. The system will examine all IPs from Posts, Votes and Registrations in that date-range, check if they have been reused by another member any time in the past, and produce a report of the ones that have been reused.

You can search for members by IP in the ACP memeber area. If you suspect someone of doing this you could run a search on their ip there to see how many users come back.

However, be away that just because people use the same IP it doesn't mean that they are indeed the same person. People who live together might like your site, fi they are on a central router (99% chance) then they will share the public IP. I also think that AOL and some other companies use the same IP's via the proxies and firewalls for a general region of user. Which could have you deleting john joe from ohio and jane john from chicago :/

Archived