Split posts

Guest eyedam

Hello!

The new v2 features move posts and merge posts are very convenient indeed, and we're using them on our forums.

Yet for even better moderation - could you, please, implement feature to split posts? It too is needed quite often - when members are starting to discuss two or more different subjects and moderators have to split the discussion into two threads. It's not only a matter of one post usually, but the two different discussions are being led simultaneously for quite a few posts in the thread.

To not complicate implementation, this feature could work per post basis - give ability to split one post at a time. The most simple case could be with a button for splitting in 2, or there could be a mod option - drop down box for splitting in 2, 3 or more (admin could change the offered options).

After clicking on the option, a post splitting form appear with two text fields with a copy of the original post in each. Mod then can edit those two posts accordingly and submit. And after that the second post can be moved where it needs to be.

What do you think?
eyedam

Doesn't that already exist?

Select the posts you want to split by marking their check boxes in the topic, and then chose 'Split Topic' from the drop-down at the bottom of the page.

Unless you mean break apart one individual post into two posts, which would be an hand edit anyway cause I can't see for code to know how to do that at the right spot.

Doesn't that already exist?

Select the posts you want to split by marking their check boxes in the topic, and then chose 'Split Topic' from the drop-down at the bottom of the page.

That is splitting a topic.

Unless you mean break apart one individual post into two posts, which would be an hand edit anyway cause I can't see for code to know how to do that at the right spot.

Yes, I mean exactly splitting a post, and I have explained in my previous post how it could work.

eyedam

Sorry, I've seen a lot of people swap post/topic around in these cases. :)

I dunno, it seems like a lot of effort. I've generally found that taking the most relavant posts, moving them to the new topic, and posting 'Talk about X here, please' works within a couple more posts (always the folks who don't read and/or are posting when you are).

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, but if there has been already for some time (at least for several posts) quite a good discussion about two different topics, and it is being lead simultaneously (for example, most of the posts talk at first about one topic then about the other) and if you as a mod don't catch it at once (and you may not catch it even if you are being very carefull, because you may not be able to tell wether it is worth to make another topic about it or not, will it get any further), but you really want to make it well organized, then when you try to sort it out, you need to split posts.

One temporary solution may be to delete part of a member's post and post it by yourself in another thread. However that won't be that member's post (which is not completely fair for him/her and could cause misunderstandings when quoted later on) and not at the same time the original post was made, which can be important too at times.

I would really like to request this feature for better moderation ability. Also, when splitting posts, it would be in the same category as editing posts thus it should have the "Edited by" line added (if enabled by admin).

Thanks!
eyedam

You could do it in stages:

1) MOVE any complete posts preceding the split post to the new thread
2) COPY post to be split to the new thread, leaving a copy in the original
3) EDIT the two copies (differently) to suit each thread
4) Repeat as needed with intact or split posts, as needed, in order

Yes, it's a bit of work, especially if a topic gets many mixed replies (not always a bad thing: it meane the topics garnered a lot of interest), but frankly anything more automated won't be as good as a considered human choice. There may be a way to eliminate a few steps, but these stages of resolution are intrinisic to the process (much like normalizing a database). If you encourage yourself to eliminate too mant individual steps, you also encourage yourself or your mods to do less conisdered edits "because it's easier". It's not that any of you are lazy, it's just that an edit that fits the available procedures seems "more right" than one that takes more steps.

Your editing/splitting should be as carefully crafted as an important post, IMHO, because you are diting another person's words. If you have the skill to edit it properly, and take the time, your board can only benefit.

I'm not criticizing the OP's suggestion. I'm jut offering an alternate view.

Archived