Custom message types, like in vB, required

Guest Vitaly

I've seen very nice implementation of such feature on one vB-based forum:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215

This is very convenient for categiries, suited for buy/sell operations. Instead if icons, there are message type with (!) ability so filter messages by type.

For example, if I wish buy item, I have to look only "for sale" topics, I no needs to see "wanted" and "sold".

It would be very nice to have such features in IPB, because many big site have "buy/sell" categories at their forum.

No. Anyway, code modification required. And I think, that should be included in IPB, because such feature will be appreciated by lot of custumers.

Actually, its not code modification. You are editing the skin, the same way if you wanted to add/delete another emoticon to use as a post icon. It's not a source edit, everybody can do it.

The HTML logic is optional, thats only if you wanted to get technical.

Actually, its not code modification. You are editing the skin, the same way if you wanted to add/delete another emoticon to use as a post icon. It's not a source edit, everybody can do it.

The HTML logic is optional, thats only if you wanted to get technical.

You have to change the source codes a bit too. It must be at last checking the previous selection (when editing) and selecting it 'as default' in the post form.

I think the original poster means beyond the look... let me see if I can explain it a bit better.

When topics are pinned or moved, they get a line of text before them, "Pinned:" or "Moved:" by default.

As I understand the suggestion, topic authors could select from a list of phrases, so instead of the topic title "FOR SALE: AMD64/GeForce 7800 computer" I would enter "AMD64/GeForce 7800 Computer" as the topic title, and select "For Sale" as the category.

Then, in the forum view, you could perhaps sort the topics to put For Sale or Wanted or Trade topics on top, and then sort by date.

Sorting aside, it seems like it should be easy to mod in there. You'd have to create an option for admins to create the categories, and then make a drop-down box above Topic Title to let post authors select a category. Then, a new first column in the forum view to show the chosen category. But never mind me, I don't know how to write code or mod IPB...

• 1 year later...

Archived