Localized Date

Guest thewiseoldman

I guess the best way to provide localized dates is to translate days and months via language packs. Then it's assured that a user alsways has a date string according to his/her chosen forum language. The basic format is set in the ACP as it is now but certain parts (like d, l, F, M) are translated by the language pack. That should be no problem to implement and older language packs where the date strings are missing just use the default (English) strings.

Example:
You define the following date format in the ACP: l, j. F, Y

Then it would look like this: Monday, 31. March, 2006

We see, that there's l and F in the string, which are then translated by the language pack: Montag, 31. M

Sorry, could you explain this further? I didn't understand your suggestion...

Quite simple really - the administrator creates a list in the AdminCP of date and time display formats - for example:

July 31, 2005
31/07/2005
Saturday 31 July 2005
etc.

This would then be a drop down list in the UserCP under board settings for how they wanted dates to be displayed.

Different languages do present certain problems I believe, as the date() function used to generate these dates I believe always uses the servers local default language :unsure:

• 1 year later...

I re-up this topic because it is a long time requested option which could be easily integrated.
What is needed to change is very simple and could avoid custom file modifications at every upgrade :

1) switching gmdate() to gmstrftime() in profile.php , ipsclass.php and admin_functions.php

2) adding a setlocale IPB option in Time & Date formats which could be set to 'en' by default.

3) replacing date() formating by strftime() formating

One change, everybody's happy ^^

• 1 year later...

Archived