Error uploading multiple images to gallery

Hi all, I am seeing the following errors in IPB 4.7.18.  Using Apache on Linux and PHP 8.1.11, this is a new install of IPB.

If I upload 6 images, about 2 of them will show failed to upload.  The others are fine.  

Could contain: Business Card, Paper, Text, File, PageCould contain: Water, Waterfront, Transportation, Vehicle, Yacht, Boat, Sailboat, Watercraft

Here are the errors:

POST /gallery/submit/?category=1&noAlbum=1 HTTP/1.1

[client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] ModSecurity: Access denied with code 44 (phase 2). Match of "eq 0" against "MULTIPART_UNMATCHED_BOUNDARY" required. [file "/etc/httpd/conf.d/mod_security.conf"] [line "30"] [id "200003"] [msg "Multipart parser detected a possible unmatched boundary."] [hostname "gatoryachts.com"] [uri "/gallery/submit/"] [unique_id "ZuerS3eCv1iZ3SBPcQ5aDQAAAAI"], referer: https://gatoryachts.com/gallery/submit/?_new=1

AH01579: Invalid response status 44, referer: https://gatoryachts.com/gallery/submit/?_new=1

Edited by Mike Gholson

13 hours ago, teraßyte said:

This is a server issue. You need to contact your hosting about it:

ModSecurity: Access denied with code 44 (phase 2).

They must either disable/tweak the ModSecurity rule triggered by the gallery uploads or disable it completely.

Thanks...  I own the server.  Do you know what I have to change?

Mike

On 9/16/2024 at 11:47 AM, Jim M said:

You would need to disable or tweak the rule mentioned there in mod_security to allow for upload.

Not really sure what option to change.  Can you help me determine?

<IfModule mod_security2.c>
    # Default recommended configuration
    SecRuleEngine On
    SecRequestBodyAccess On
    SecRule REQUEST_HEADERS:Content-Type "text/xml" \
         "id:'200000',phase:1,t:none,t:lowercase,pass,nolog,ctl:requestBodyProcessor=XML"
    SecRequestBodyLimit 13107200
    SecRequestBodyNoFilesLimit 131072
    SecRequestBodyInMemoryLimit 131072
    SecRequestBodyLimitAction Reject
    SecRule REQBODY_ERROR "!@eq 0" \
    "id:'200001', phase:2,t:none,log,deny,status:400,msg:'Failed to parse request body.',logdata:'%{reqbody_error_msg}',severity:2"
    SecRule MULTIPART_STRICT_ERROR "!@eq 0" \
    "id:'200002',phase:2,t:none,log,deny,status:400,msg:'Multipart request body \
    failed strict validation: \
    PE %{REQBODY_PROCESSOR_ERROR}, \
    BQ %{MULTIPART_BOUNDARY_QUOTED}, \
    BW %{MULTIPART_BOUNDARY_WHITESPACE}, \
    DB %{MULTIPART_DATA_BEFORE}, \
    DA %{MULTIPART_DATA_AFTER}, \
    HF %{MULTIPART_HEADER_FOLDING}, \
    LF %{MULTIPART_LF_LINE}, \
    SM %{MULTIPART_MISSING_SEMICOLON}, \
    IQ %{MULTIPART_INVALID_QUOTING}, \
    IP %{MULTIPART_INVALID_PART}, \
    IH %{MULTIPART_INVALID_HEADER_FOLDING}, \
    FL %{MULTIPART_FILE_LIMIT_EXCEEDED}'"

SecRule MULTIPART_UNMATCHED_BOUNDARY "!@eq 0" \
    "id:'200003',phase:2,t:none,log,deny,status:44,msg:'Multipart parser detected a possible unmatched boundary.'"

SecPcreMatchLimit 1000
    SecPcreMatchLimitRecursion 1000

SecRule TX:/^MSC_/ "!@streq 0" \
            "id:'200004',phase:2,t:none,deny,msg:'ModSecurity internal error flagged: %{MATCHED_VAR_NAME}'"

SecResponseBodyAccess Off
    SecDebugLog /var/log/httpd/modsec_debug.log
    SecDebugLogLevel 0
    SecAuditEngine RelevantOnly
    SecAuditLogRelevantStatus "^(?:5|4(?!04))"
    SecAuditLogParts ABIJDEFHZ
    SecAuditLogType Serial
    SecAuditLog /var/log/httpd/modsec_audit.log
    SecArgumentSeparator &
    SecCookieFormat 0
    SecTmpDir /var/lib/mod_security
    SecDataDir /var/lib/mod_security

# ModSecurity Core Rules Set and Local configuration
        IncludeOptional modsecurity.d/*.conf
        IncludeOptional modsecurity.d/activated_rules/*.conf
        IncludeOptional modsecurity.d/local_rules/*.conf

</IfModule>

1 minute ago, Mike Gholson said:

I am the hosting provider..  😉  I can change anything, just need to know what your software needs to enable multiple uploads.

Mike

We do not provide support with server configurations or extra security modules like mod_security. If you are unsure how to handle this you would need to work with a server administrator.

If you want to use these items it would be up to yourself to ensure they do not hinder the software. 

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

We do not provide support with server configurations or extra security modules like mod_security. If you are unsure how to handle this you would need to work with a server administrator.

If you want to use these items it would be up to yourself to ensure they do not hinder the software. 

What the?  Really?  My server meets all your specs and I've been with you guys for years..   trying to launch another website and I get this response?   

Seriously ....

1 minute ago, Mike Gholson said:

What the?  Really?  My server meets all your specs and I've been with you guys for years..   trying to launch another website and I get this response?   

Seriously ....

Sorry that you are disappointed but we have never supported server configurations. Our support only covers our software. As a selfhosted customer, it is your responsibility to configure your server and the additional modules you want to run on it  

As mentioned though, if you don’t know how to configured mod_security to work with our software, I would advise disabling it.