Urgent Assistance Needed for Database Issues during 4.7.18 Upgrade

Hi everyone,

I've been a dedicated user of Invision Community since 2011, and I've always appreciated how smoothly upgrades have gone in the past.

However, the recent upgrade to version 4.7.18 has put me in a difficult situation. During the process, I received a message indicating that there are some problems with my database. The system suggests that while it is usually safe to fix these issues automatically, it may be preferable to run the necessary queries manually for larger communities. Unfortunately, the list of queries is extensive—when I copied them into a Word document, it spanned 70 pages.

I attempted the automatic fix, but it failed. Running all these queries manually seems overwhelming and impractical.

I'm reaching out to see if anyone here has experienced a similar issue or can provide guidance on how to resolve this efficiently. Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your support.

Here is a sample of the changes asked for ( 2 pages out of 70)
Could contain: Text, Page, Letter, Texture

On the support page in your AdminCP, please follow the instructions to convert your database to utf8mb4. MySQL removed utf8_ and aliased it to utf8mb3_ which can cause issues with checking the database structure since the collation is not what is expected.

Hi Stuart,

I found the instructions within the Admin CP that mention the following:

"Your database is currently configured to use single-byte UTF-8 encoding. Some uncommon symbols (such as historical scripts, music symbols, and Emoji) require 4-Byte UTF-8 encoding. To allow users to post these symbols, your database needs to be converted."

Could you please advise on the best way to proceed with making this change?

10 minutes ago, sixsigma said:

Could you please advise on the best way to proceed with making this change?

You will want to use the conversion tool there to do so 😉 . There should be a fix it button or on the right-hand side pertaining to UTF8MB4

Thanks for the response, Jim, 

Clicking on the "Fix it" button provides the following text for me "Your database is currently configured to use single-byte UTF-8 Encoding. Some non-common symbols (such as historical scripts, music symbols and Emoji) require 4-Byte UTF-8 Encoding. If you want users to be able to post these symbols, your database needs to be converted." 

When I use the link it says 

Sorry, you do not have permission for that!
 The database could not be converted. Contact your hosting provider or system administrator for assistance.
Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes

Any suggestions on how should I proceed now?

Does your MySQL server support the InnoDB engine with a DYNAMIC row format? If it does, that error shouldn't appear.

If it only supports the MyISAM engine or the InnoDB/COMPACT row format, that error might indeed pop up.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

we have the same issue. Click on 'fix these issues automatically' does not work. Nothing will happen. We talk to our hoster to run the SQL manually but the note is still there.

Any solution so far ? 

best regards 

You need to convert your database if you are getting that message, as mentioned above.As mentioned here

On 8/21/2024 at 3:29 PM, Jim M said:

You will want to use the conversion tool there to do so 😉 . There should be a fix it button or on the right-hand side pertaining to UTF8MB4

Thank you 🙂

Do you have a script for this operation ? We asked our hoster for help. They told us that this will cost us a lot of time to convert every single table.

In the support area i tried to use the 'fix it' button but there is no option to convert.

Could contain: Page, Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

6 minutes ago, sisuk said:

Thank you 🙂

Do you have a script for this operation ? We asked our hoster for help. They told us that this will cost us a lot of time to convert every single table.

In the support area i tried to use the 'fix it' button but there is no option to convert.

Could contain: Page, Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

See Nathans quote above 🙂 You need to click the link