How to sell digital content?

riko
Go to solution Solved by Marc,

Hi all,

I already have an subscription running, but how do I sell next to that or free from that subscription, for example a zipfile with a 3D model on my site?

I know physical sales are going the way of the dodo, but ^that's pure digital, 1's and 0's. I don't want to redirect to yet another site, pay extra commission etc. etc. just offer it for sale through Invision, is that even possible?

I once had this complex setup, where people donating got added to another group that got access to the zipfile, but that appeared to be anything but practical if I want to sell more digital goods.
I feel I must be missing something.

Thank you in advance.

--
Rick

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Marc,

Sorry to come back at this but I tried following that guide you linked, but it already goes awry here at step 1: "You can add a new product by visiting Commerce>Store>Products within the admin CP and selecting the + next to one of the groups".

Instead of seeing this (as shown in the guide):
Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

I see this, going from commerce ->store ->products ->+Create New: 
Could contain: Page, Text, File, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen

I added a product nontheless, but then no other options in the left bar or elsewhere, showed me anything like in the guide. Pricing, store settings, purchase benefits,  I can find non of that. 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

--
Rick

And I'm still stuck on this. 😶 Really sorry to bother you with this.

I figured out the product is in an menu item named 'store'. To make that active on the site, I have to drag it into the menu and save.
But I already have a 'store' in my top menu with multiple items in its dropdown menu. Is there anyway I can rename this newly created digital product store?

And an other question where do I drop my digital product, a zip file, so people can download it after purchase?

12 minutes ago, riko said:

And an other question where do I drop my digital product, a zip file, so people can download it after purchase?

To allow the purchase of these files, you need to use the Downloads app. Then, users will be able to buy them!

4 minutes ago, DawPi said:

To allow the purchase of these files, you need to use the Downloads app. Then, users will be able to buy them!

Hmm, aha, downloads app, and where can I find that one?

Thank you, for your assistance. 🙂

This is an application you already own. If you arent seeing it, go to System->Site Features->Applications and click install next to downloads. If you dont see the application there, you need to upload a fresh set of files from your client area, and you will see it once you have done this

3 minutes ago, Marc said:

This is an application you already own. If you arent seeing it, go to System->Site Features->Applications and click install next to downloads. If you dont see the application there, you need to upload a fresh set of files from your client area, and you will see it once you have done this

33 minutes ago, DawPi said:

Oops, my apologies looking with my nose. I found it but...

Holly macoroni hey. 🫣 What a clusterf... of settings to wade though to figure this out and connect downloads with products. 

4 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

If you don't want to use the Downloads application to provide the file, it is also possible to upload it as an attachment in the editor available in the Client Area Settings TAB of the product form (Client Area Content).

Thank you again. 👍 That's very helpful, I'll look into this option. 

19 minutes ago, riko said:

Thank you again. 👍 That's very helpful, I'll look into this option

It is, but you won't be able to track who downloaded the file, provide new versions of the file, notify the purchasers etc. I suggest use the Downloads app still! 😉

13 hours ago, riko said:

What a clusterf... of settings to wade though to figure this out and connect downloads with products. 

If you plan on offering multiple files for purchase, you will be better in the long run with using Downloads app to power the digital downloads.  

Dawpi has a really good point that the  Downloads app has features to monitor, update, and version your files.  Is it overkill if you're only going to offer one or two 3D files? Yes.  But if you plan on selling dozens or hundreds of 3D models, Downloads is very robust.  

2 hours ago, Joel R said:

If you plan on offering multiple files for purchase, you will be better in the long run with using Downloads app to power the digital downloads.  

Dawpi has a really good point that the  Downloads app has features to monitor, update, and version your files.  Is it overkill if you're only going to offer one or two 3D files? Yes.  But if you plan on selling dozens or hundreds of 3D models, Downloads is very robust.  

Ok, thank you for clearifying this. And yes, I am planning on offering more then 1-2 files for sale. 😉