3.4.9 reCAPTCHA API v2 Update

Nils

As one of the people still stuck on 3.4.9 for the foreseeable future I recently made some changes to the recaptcha.php plugin to update it to Google's new v2 API. I hope this will help alleviate the recently uptick in spam bots a bit, and will also ensure that reCAPTCHA continues to work after the old API is shut down in March.

This was done in a bit of a rush so I can't guarantee that my code is perfect or free of bugs (so no warranty etc), but I thought I'd share my changes anyway. Maybe someone else can make use of this too!

Simply upload the attached file to ips_kernel/classCaptchaPlugin replacing the old recaptcha.php (maybe make a backup first).

Then, sign up for v2 API keys here: https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin and copy the "site key" into the "public key" field and the "secret key" into the "private key" field in the Spam Prevention settings in the Admin CP.

Note that other reCAPTCHA settings (language/theme) are no longer in use, but at least the language should now be auto-detected anyway.

I haven't tested this extensively, but it seems to work fine in my installation!

recaptcha.php

• 5 months later...

Archived