Suggestion: Chat while you browse forum (1 window, not 2)

ørret

What is really annoying and keeping me from using chat is that I have to have 2 windows open to use chat, 1 to chat and one to actually browse the forum. Good solution? I don't think so. It's a good option to have a full width chat, but not a good solution seeing this as a part of a forum and that you cannot browse the forum when you're on the chat (unless you make 2 windows/tabs).

Suggestion: Chat should be displayed above all content so that you can search through, or do whatever you do on your forum, check calendars, forums, members, gallery etc. I'm talking every page, even edit content pages, inside forums etc, and if chat is not set to display on certain areas, you should never be logged out unless you log yourself out.

A hook would do it. Why do a hook?

1. More people stay online, and you don't have those poor users (like me) accidentally logging off just because they clicked "forum tab", "blogs tab", "members tab", you get the point...
2. Most likely leads to more IP.Chat sales, packages with more users.
3. Most likely leads to more sales for hook author as more people might use the service, and site owners seeing this as something to really put their money on.
4. Could be used as live support?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What is really annoying and keeping me from using chat is that I have to have 2 windows open to use chat, 1 to chat and one to actually browse the forum. Good solution? I don't think so. It's a good option to have a full width chat, but not a good solution seeing this as a part of a forum and that you cannot browse the forum when you're on the chat (unless you make 2 windows/tabs).

Suggestion: Chat should be displayed above all content so that you can search through, or do whatever you do on your forum, check calendars, forums, members, gallery etc. I'm talking every page, even edit content pages, inside forums etc, and if chat is not set to display on certain areas, you should never be logged out unless you log yourself out.

A hook would do it. Why do a hook?

1. More people stay online, and you don't have those poor users (like me) accidentally logging off just because they clicked "forum tab", "blogs tab", "members tab", you get the point...

2. Most likely leads to more IP.Chat sales, packages with more users.

3. Most likely leads to more sales for hook author as more people might use the service, and site owners seeing this as something to really put their money on.

4. Could be used as live support?

This idea is fantastic, and would be a great way to make IP.Chat more useful. I'm sure that good forum-wide integration would make the product more attractive in people's eyes, and could boost sales of the larger plans.

would be nice if it was built in like the facebook chat in a bottom bar, where members have the option to turn it on or off.

Even better, to prevent the bottom of the screen by being cluttered by a "bottom bar" (personally, I'm not a big fan of them), IP.Chat could be put into a floating, draggable "window" that could be dragged anywhere within the browser window (kinda like the Visual Skin Editor). A simple button in the black area above the forum header could serve to join the room and see how many people are chatting. There could still be a link in the floating window through which you could access the "full" dedicated page for the chat.

post-205296-0-58376200-1316823645_thumb.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This would definitely be great, although I don't know how well it would play with the user limit...

To avoid all (inactive) users to stay logged in 24/7 there could be a setting to kick those inactive users after x amount of time of inactivity, to open for new active users, and an option for "kicked" inactive users to reconnect whenever they are "back at keyboard". Some jquery smooth soft kick and reconnect. This way we stop people who left their computers for hours with invisionpower forums tab open from taking all chat user slots.

See, this is why I wish IP.Chat had a huge upgrade...people are having to divert to other chat applications. I may end up doing the same and I would rather not.

Exactly, I would LOVE for IP.Chat to do things like this so I don't have to go elsewhere, and that way it's already integrated and everything. Plus the guys here would be getting the money instead :smile:

Arrow chat looks pretty sweet though

To avoid all (inactive) users to stay logged in 24/7 there could be a setting to kick those inactive users after x amount of time of inactivity, to open for new active users, and an option for "kicked" inactive users to reconnect whenever they are "back at keyboard". Some jquery smooth soft kick and reconnect. This way we stop people who left their computers for hours with invisionpower forums tab open from taking all chat user slots.

That doesn't solve the issue. If you have a 20 user chat package and have 200 users on your site (consider guests, search engine spiders, other bots such as Facebook, registered users, etc.), 180 of those users are going to see a chat box that indicates the room is full.

It doesn't mean 180 of those people want to join the chat. Just look at this site, as for now (when I'm writing this), 562 users online, 0 in chat. Something went really wrong with IP.Chat and i guess IPS officials are fully aware that something needs to be done. It's been like this months after months, great user activity, no chat activity. It's a huge fail as I see it, but it doesn't need to stay like this. Back to your case, being site owner seeing a full chat, just encourage him/her to buy larger chat deals. It means greater income for IPS. I can see the issue, 20 people clicking (or hit-and-run) chat, everyone is inactive, preventing active users from joining. I mean, an inactivity limit could stop this right? No one wants to join an empty chat room, and inactive users will most likely "drag" active users to the chat. Also as pointed out earlier, I don't think people do much "hit-and-run" by purpose, as it is now they cannot stay on chat and browse forum at the same time without having to open a new tab or window. If these people could browse forum while also writing on chat, chat would thrive more. I doubt we would have an issue with inactive users.

Lets take this scenario: A user is writing a topic, a large post (takes him 10 minutes to write), while writing the topic, he is also active in chat and awaits a reply there. He gets a reply and goes straight over to chat box to respond back. After this he goes back to finishing up his thread, still following the ongoing conversation in chat - all happening on the same page, no extra tabs or windows. That's where we should be in 2012.

Why couldn't you have it to where your friends list matches with your friends list on the site, and then there is a "chat room" tab that shows the amount of users in the chat room and it allows people to click on it to "join" the chat room. And then you can also add friends to you friends on the site via the chat bar as well as the current way that you have it.

I think this would be a way that people would purchase bigger licenses for chat, because it's easily integrated into their site and it's right there for people to see already, and can see if their friends are online, etc. . .

It doesn't mean 180 of those people want to join the chat. Just look at this site, as for now (when I'm writing this), 562 users online, 0 in chat. Something went really wrong with IP.Chat and i guess IPS officials are fully aware that something needs to be done. It's been like this months after months, great user activity, no chat activity. It's a huge fail as I see it, but it doesn't need to stay like this. Back to your case, being site owner seeing a full chat, just encourage him/her to buy larger chat deals. It means greater income for IPS. I can see the issue, 20 people clicking (or hit-and-run) chat, everyone is inactive, preventing active users from joining. I mean, an inactivity limit could stop this right? No one wants to join an empty chat room, and inactive users will most likely "drag" active users to the chat. Also as pointed out earlier, I don't think people do much "hit-and-run" by purpose, as it is now they cannot stay on chat and browse forum at the same time without having to open a new tab or window. If these people could browse forum while also writing on chat, chat would thrive more. I doubt we would have an issue with inactive users.

Lets take this scenario: A user is writing a topic, a large post (takes him 10 minutes to write), while writing the topic, he is also active in chat and awaits a reply there. He gets a reply and goes straight over to chat box to respond back. After this he goes back to finishing up his thread, still following the ongoing conversation in chat - all happening on the same page, no extra tabs or windows. That's where we should be in 2012.

So when you say put the chat window on every page, you don't mean load the chat room itself off the bat. You mean show an area for the chat with a "click to join" button?

Because otherwise if the chat room were TRULY embedded on every page and automatically launched, this isn't about a user doing a "hit and run". Once the page loaded, the javascript would add the user to the chat room, whether they intended to use it or not, at which point an active user connection would be used up. Simply loading any web page that had the chat room embedded would cause an active slot to be used up, and of course that means if 20 users loaded a page on your site, the other 180 would see a room full message. Removing inactive users can be done, but there has to be a delay (if I haven't chatted in 10 seconds, does that make me inactive?), so that doesn't solve the issue.

Archived