IPS should open a wiki

Fast Lane!

Please consider opening a wiki, http://mediawiki.org/

It is free, open source and the best part is that now the community can create help pages for each other. I know you have the community articles; but those are pretty poor how they are implemented for reading and finding. The official documentation even on installing and using some things is poor (someone rightfully commented earlier how IP Content documentation is virtually non existent for a product of its complexity).

Thoughts? I am not trying to be rude by posting this; just that this is an obvious gap in the IPB product line that a wiki would help. You can even have pages that only IPB staff can update (official pages).

So if this is true then great :), but there still needs to be some motivation to get better documentation. If I were IPB I would offer free licenses for a year to folks that wrote any significant amount of info to a guide. IPB should provide section titles and members could fill that in towards points that would get them free licenses for a year. IPB gets the tax write off (expense the license fee as an advertising cost which in reality is virtually free), win win.

I dont want to put IPC down because its a great product. However, we keep hearing how IPC is like a wiki. Its a request that keeps coming up again and again, but I am yet to see a working example/skin or a guide to design it.

It needs to look like other wikis and it needs to have key functionality similarities so that people will feel comfortable when using it or being introduced to it.

The problems with using IPC as a wiki is there is no automatic table of contents generator, and you can't recursively display category records on the main database page.

That is a rather large stumbling block I'd say! I have been wondering about whether to create a wiki with IP.Content, I think that's made my mind up. I'll continue with Mediawiki.

Archived