IE7 not working well with 3.1.3

ikillbill

The test environment as below:
1. Browser : Internet Explor
2. Version: 7.0.5730.13 (English)

Causing of Problems:
1. PC performance slow "down" (normally, it takes 2-3 minutes or more to open an article to read)
2. PC forzen (need to end task or shutdown)
3. If an article can be opened to read, user will see a "sounds like" endless white scree of "shot"...

anyone has same issue?

I haven't seen that before, although I've barely ever used IE7 with IPB. Try using a different browser maybe? IE7 is old, outdated and extremely slow. Even IE8 would be a significant upgrade (and would almost certainly not encounter the error), although Chrome/Firefox/Safari would all be even better.

(IE7 is technically still supported, however since it's over 4 years old and IE9 will be released soon, I'd expect it to be dropped from the official list of supported browsers in the near future.)

not possible to ask ALL members do upgrade.....

Why not? I've point blank told mine that I refuse to support a browser that's outdated. Period. If users want to use software that's buggy and full of security holes, more power to them. However, that doesn't mean I have to support it.

I don't think thats the issue. If you want IE7 full support, you will loose features.

IE7 can't comprehend the features. If there is a dire problem like

• Massive layout problems
  • Cannot post
  • etc
Then that possibly could be fixed. All these cosmetic problems are the price of using a piece of junk browser. Regardless if your work/home forces it on you.

seriously, not all membes are IT guys and even PC guy

85% of members don;t even know they need to upgrade IE

for god 's sake and this is IPB's responsibilities, please FIX this

This is like when you buy a car, you tell customers not to drive the car to some high way?wield enough?

So I should be forced to buy an off road jeep that can handle all elements?

If members can register and post on a forum, I'm positive they can update their browser. Nonetheless, I don't want to create a little argument here, so I'll be on my way. If you be more descriptive and name the problems you expierence in IE7 they might be fixed. The only thing with noise in IPB is IP. Chat, as far as I know, so it would be strange that users hear that noise. As slow and freezing is quite difficult to track down, unless you have a general idea to start looking.

This is like when you buy a car, you tell customers not to drive the car to some high way?wield enough?

I like you :)

you guys are amazing, you provide and sell something and ask whole world to change for you....

again, this is IPS's job , NOT our members, IPS sells software here, NOT our memebrs

You could support IPS in the way you like, but still, this does not change that we are IPS 's "client" also and this is IPS 's PROBLEM

yea, I know what you all meant , one day, when IPS is big enough, you could even ask microsoft to design a IE for you and ask your own members to upgrade, but not today and not now

I'm shocked at the animosity in this thread.

Yes, IE sucks. However, IE7 is not that old, and it's not absurd for somebody to use it. Last I checked, 6-10% of the population use IE7. That's not peanuts and just something to scoff at, telling your users "that's your problem, not mine". For forums that cater towards an older audience or an audience with a lot of people who browse at work, that percentage is going to be a lot, LOT higher than 10%.

IE7 is still very relevant and we must adhere to its inconsistencies. Minor inconsistencies can be ignored, but anything major that interferes with the functionality of the forums must be addressed.

Recommending to your members that they should upgrade to IE8 or use a different browser is fine...I do the same...but telling them "tough luck, I don't care about your problems in IE7" is not the answer. You can do that with IE6, but not IE7. Not yet ;)

its also like buying a ps3 game and demanding it works on the ps2. Times change. Tell your members to upgrade.

First I want to say that a majority of the posts here are made by customers, not IPS. So if you want something fixed post it to the bug tracker. Don't take what people say here as what IPS is saying.

Yes, IE sucks. However, IE7 is not that old, and it's not absurd for somebody to use it. Last I checked, 6-10% of the population use IE7. That's not peanuts and just something to scoff at, telling your users "that's your problem, not mine". For forums that cater towards an older audience or an audience with a lot of people who browse at work, that percentage is going to be a lot, LOT higher than 10%.

With all due respect it is (for someone to use it). It's bad enough IE6 lasts as long as it has. Any other browser has a much shorter life cycle and a much higher adoption/upgrade rate. Even Microsoft has stepped up the pace with their releases. And given that IE8 works on XP, an operating system that is 9+ years old and 2 major versions behind, it's even more ridiculous. I can understand not wanting to upgrade the OS... But any school or business should be concerned with security, and they're usually the last to upgrade. The only way to get people to get in the habit of upgrading their browsers is by educating them, not holding their hand. I'm not saying IE7 shouldn't be supported. I just think that people sticking to these older versions need to get with the program and keep their browsers up to date.

IE8 was released, non-Beta, in March 2009.

~1.5 years ago, brand new computers shipped with IE7. IE7 is not the dinosaur you're making it out to be. :thumbsup:

I've already said I agree that people should upgrade their browsers, but I'm not blind to the fact that people don't. We don't live in a perfect world. In that world, nobody would use IE. Just because people shouldn't use it doesn't mean that we can ignore it.

FYI: 66% Of All Windows Users Still Use Windows XP

~1.5 years ago, brand new computers shipped with IE7. IE7 is not the dinosaur you're making it out to be. :thumbsup:

I've already said I agree that people should upgrade their browsers, but I'm not blind to the fact that people don't. We don't live in a perfect world. In that world, nobody would use IE. Just because people shouldn't use it doesn't mean that we can ignore it.

FYI: [url="http://www.conceivablytech.com/3227/business/66-of-all-windows-users-still-use-windows-xp/"]66% Of All Windows Users Still Use Windows XP[/url]

I recently reinstalled Windows on my work computer. I chose to stay with XP. I'm upgraded to IE8.

FYI: [url="http://www.conceivablytech.com/3227/business/66-of-all-windows-users-still-use-windows-xp/"]66% Of All Windows Users Still Use Windows XP[/url]

As bfarber has pointed out he is still on XP and he's upgraded to IE8. Upgrading to IE8 is free and takes almost no effort. For the home user there shouldn't be any excuse. I can understand businesses because they are very slow in upgrading, and they prevent their workers from doing it themselves... But IE8 has compatibility mode, so even if a site didn't work with IE8's rending engine you can essentially switch to IE7's on a case-by-case basis. It's not a matter of people can't upgrade, it's just they are either too lazy to do it, are not educated to do so, or can't because of policy restrictions in a business environment.

IE6 to IE7 was a radical change, especially in the user interface. IE8 looks almost exactly like IE7, but the rendering engine is much better and more up to par with other browsers. I don't think it's too much to ask for people to run windows update at least once a year (as you said IE8 has been out for about 1.5 years). Anyone concerned about security in the slightest wouldn't go more than six months without upgrading.

Ok, you're missing the point. It does not matter how much you think IE7 sucks, how great you think IE8 is, or how easy it is to upgrade. All that matters is what people out there are using. Not everybody uses the latest and greatest software, period. Nobody here, or even on planet earth for that matter, has the power to force everybody with a computer to upgrade to the latest version of IE.

60% of Windows users still use XP
7% of internet users still use IE7

Windows 7 is better than XP. Do you think this means that nobody must support XP? Of course not.

It does not matter if you think the software is garbage and nobody should use it. As a forum owner (and software vendor, IPS), you must support IE7 because a significant number of your visitors use it.

Archived